Google's search engine from 2001 - Look at what I found

In summary, Google's search engine from 2001 shows that Barack Obama was the most popular search term that year, while Sarah Palin did not even appear on the list. There were also a few results for "fannie mae" and "freddie mac", which implied that they were in some way related to the 2008 financial crisis. McCain only gained about 1/5th of Obama's search interest, while Paul received 4x the number of hits.
RetardedBastard
Google's search engine from 2001 -- Look at what I found!

In celebration of their 10th anniversary, Google has posted it's search engine results and data going all the way back to January 2001: http://www.google.com/search2001.html

Sounds interesting... so I decided to compare search results from today and those from 2001. Here are the results (now / 2001):

"physicsforums" (17,500,000 / 0)
Barack Obama (71,200,000 / 771)
"Sarah Palin" (20,300,000 / 0)
iPod (418,000,000 / 1,300)
wikipedia (286,000,000 / 681)

But THIS is the most interesting gem I discovered:
search terms: "fannie mae" "freddie mac" collapse (785 results)

and this little jewel from all the way back in 2000 during a testimony before the House Banking Committee (the first link from google's 2001 archived search results):
Clearly Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were created for “good” purposes – now the issue is whether the special privileges they’ve been granted, specifically their implicit government “insurance” policy, act to distort and destabilize the marketplace.​
(http://web.archive.org/web/20010916040429/www.cei.org/RemarksReader.asp?ID=1035" )

Oh wait, I'm not done:

"Our worry is that GSEs could become the savings and loans of the coming decade, with taxpayers getting the bill for a bailout that will make the S&L crisis look like chump change."

If Freddie and Fannie continue their attempts to expand their reach into subprime and jumbo mortgages, there is a real danger of collapse​
(http://web.archive.org/web/20010410165029/www.cagw.org/mediacenter/newsrel/search/00-03-09.htm" )

Wow! They were saying this in 2000! It's quite disheartening to see that our current economic crisis could have been prevented had the government paid attention within the last 8 years!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

RetardedBastard said:
In celebration of their 10th anniversary, Google has posted it's search engine results and data going all the way back to January 2001: http://www.google.com/search2001.html

Sounds interesting... so I decided to compare search results from today and those from 2001. Here are the results (now / 2001):

"physicsforums" (17,500,000 / 0)
Barack Obama (71,200,000 / 771)
"Sarah Palin" (20,300,000 / 0)
iPod (418,000,000 / 1,300)
wikipedia (286,000,000 / 681)

But THIS is the most interesting gem I discovered:
search terms: "fannie mae" "freddie mac" collapse (785 results)

and this little jewel from all the way back in 2000 during a testimony before the House Banking Committee (the first link from google's 2001 archived search results):
Clearly Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were created for “good” purposes – now the issue is whether the special privileges they’ve been granted, specifically their implicit government “insurance” policy, act to distort and destabilize the marketplace.​
(http://web.archive.org/web/20010916040429/www.cei.org/RemarksReader.asp?ID=1035" )

Oh wait, I'm not done:

"Our worry is that GSEs could become the savings and loans of the coming decade, with taxpayers getting the bill for a bailout that will make the S&L crisis look like chump change."

If Freddie and Fannie continue their attempts to expand their reach into subprime and jumbo mortgages, there is a real danger of collapse​
(http://web.archive.org/web/20010410165029/www.cagw.org/mediacenter/newsrel/search/00-03-09.htm" )

Wow! They were saying this in 2000! It's quite disheartening to see that our current economic crisis could have been prevented had the government paid attention within the last 8 years!

This is proof now that Obama has more national exposure than Sarah Palin. I hope Biden brings up these numbers tonight in the debate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theres nothing new here. People saw this coming 10 years ago and encouraged this type of business. Its just another scenario where the rich get richer and the poorer get poorer. I'm more than sure the government knew about it, they just didn't do anything because a lot of them made money off it.

This is unreal!

Facebook only got 1801!

579,000,000 now!

Hmm. Ron Paul got more than four times the hits of Biden, Palin and Obama combined.

"John McCain" - 158,000
"Sarah Palin" - 0

"Barak Obama" - 31
"Joe Biden" - 3,240

"Ron Paul" - 13,400

B. Elliott said:
Hmm. Ron Paul got more than four times the hits of Biden, Palin and Obama combined.

"John McCain" - 158,000
"Sarah Palin" - 0

"Barak Obama" - 31
"Joe Biden" - 3,240

"Ron Paul" - 13,400
I did half of those searches just gathering information against him. Lots of searches isn't always a good thing.

Evo said:
I did half of those searches just gathering information against him. Lots of searches isn't always a good thing.

Well good or bad. I just used it as a gauge for overall knownness in '01.

B. Elliott said:

"John McCain" - 158,000
"Sarah Palin" - 0

"Barak Obama" - 31
"Joe Biden" - 3,240

"Ron Paul" - 13,400

Ron Paul must have been relatively QUITE well-known considering that then governor Mike Huckabee only got 10500 hits and soon to be released "Windows XP" only 1,580.

Evo said:

Evo, I can not believe you havn't said/done this yet... "David Deutsch" gets 3,380 results!

Evo said:

It's not counts of searches, it's counts of websites Google has indexed. But, same idea applies...they could all be websites talking about how bad they are.

1. What was Google's search engine like in 2001?

In 2001, Google's search engine was much simpler and less advanced compared to its current version. It had a basic layout with a search bar and a list of search results. It also did not have features such as autocomplete, voice search, or personalized search results.

2. How did Google's search engine improve from 2001 to now?

Over the years, Google's search engine has undergone numerous improvements. It has become much faster, more accurate, and more user-friendly. It now includes advanced features such as autocomplete, voice search, and personalized results based on user's search history and location.

3. Was Google the most popular search engine in 2001?

No, in 2001, Google was still a relatively new search engine and was not as popular as it is today. At that time, Yahoo and AltaVista were among the top search engines, with Google slowly gaining popularity due to its efficient and accurate search results.

4. Did Google's search engine have any competitors in 2001?

Yes, there were several other search engines that were competing with Google in 2001. Some of the popular ones were Yahoo, AltaVista, Ask Jeeves, and Lycos. However, Google's efficient and accurate search results quickly made it a top competitor in the search engine market.

5. How has Google's search engine impacted the way we search for information?

Google's search engine has revolutionized the way we search for information. It has made finding information quick, easy, and accessible to everyone. With its advanced features and algorithms, Google has become the go-to source for finding information on the internet, changing the way we interact with and consume information.

Back