GPU drivers in Fedore 34 - understanding the status of the drivers

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpu
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Fedora 34 and the switch from Nouveau drivers to Nvidia drivers. The user has noticed an error at booting, but it has since been resolved and they are able to open the Nvidia Server Settings. However, there is confusion as to why the terminal page shows Intel instead of Nvidia. The user has two questions about potential bugs and whether it is worth switching to Nvidia drivers for non-gaming purposes. The conversation also mentions Wayland not being compatible with proprietary drivers and suggests searching for solutions on Fedora-specific forums. The user is considering switching to a different desktop or distro with better support for proprietary drivers.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Code:
7.5 GiB
Intel® Core™ i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz x 4
NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 940MX] / Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2)

When I first started to using Fedora 34 I was using Nouveau drivers. However, I guess later on I have enabled the Nvidia drivers. The reason why I am not sure as follows.

1) At the booting time there was an error saying
Nvidia kernel module missing, falling back to nouveau
Now this error is gone.
2) I can open the Nvidia Server Settings
3) When I type
Code:
lsmod | grep nvidia
I am getting.

Code:
nvidia_drm             69632  2
nvidia_modeset       1200128  2 nvidia_drm
nvidia              35332096  72 nvidia_modeset
drm_kms_helper        303104  2 nvidia_drm,i915
drm                   630784  12 drm_kms_helper,nvi

However, In my terminal page (via screenfetch) it says.

1635781042555.png

I did not understand why it shows Intel instead of Nvidia.

I have 2 questions.

1) Is this a bug caused by the screenfetch ?
2) If I am still running Intel is it worth to switch Nvidia Drivers ? (I am not gaming in Linux)

Currently I am around 60 FPS

Code:
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.999 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.011 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.999 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.007 FPS

Technology news on Phys.org
You should be able to see the GPU in screenfetch: here's mine:
1635784220529.png

I believe Wayland (the display server Gnome uses) does not play nicely with the proprietary drivers, various solutions probably around using some combination of "Wayland", "nvidea", "gnome" and "fedora" as search terms.

Alternatively install a different desktop or even switch to a different Fedora spin, KDE might be a good one.

Alternatively switch to a different distro which has good support for proprietary drivers out of the box as a feature - did I mention Mint?

If you are going to go down the Linux route you need to get good at searching out help for stuff like this: distro specfic forums are usually the best start: https://fedoraforum.org/ https://ask.fedoraproject.org/

pbuk said:
If you are going to go down the Linux route you need to get good at searching out help for stuff like this: distro specfic forums are usually the best start: https://fedoraforum.org/ https://ask.fedoraproject.org/
That's a good idea. Thanks for pointing that out. I have online searched about the problem but not found many.
pbuk said:
I believe Wayland (the display server Gnome uses) does not play nicely with the proprietary drivers, various solutions probably around using some combination of "Wayland", "nvidea", "gnome" and "fedora" as search terms.
I also heard the Wayland term in my research, but I don't know what it means or how it affects the comp. The speed of the comp is good. But I also know that Nvidia drivers are not good with Linux. We all see this video.

So... I might switch to Nvidia, but I am not sure it will be worth the effort or not.

1. What is the current status of GPU drivers in Fedora 34?

The current status of GPU drivers in Fedora 34 can vary depending on the specific graphics card you have. However, in general, Fedora 34 supports a wide range of GPU drivers including open-source drivers and proprietary drivers from AMD and NVIDIA.

2. How can I check which GPU driver is currently in use on my Fedora 34 system?

You can use the lspci command in the terminal to list all the devices connected to your system, including your GPU. You can then use the lspci -v command to get more detailed information about your GPU, including the currently in use driver.

3. Can I install additional or updated GPU drivers in Fedora 34?

Yes, you can install additional or updated GPU drivers in Fedora 34. You can use the dnf package manager to search for and install the latest drivers for your specific graphics card. However, it is recommended to use the drivers provided by the official Fedora repositories to ensure compatibility and stability.

4. Are there any known issues with GPU drivers in Fedora 34?

There may be some known issues with certain GPU drivers in Fedora 34, especially with newer graphics cards. It is always recommended to check the release notes and forums for any reported issues before installing or updating GPU drivers. Additionally, you can also try using the proprietary drivers from the manufacturer's website if you encounter any problems with the default drivers.

5. Will my GPU be automatically detected and configured in Fedora 34?

In most cases, yes, your GPU will be automatically detected and configured in Fedora 34. However, there may be some instances where you need to manually install or configure the drivers for your specific graphics card. It is recommended to check the official Fedora documentation and forums for specific instructions for your GPU model.