GR to Naive Physics: Is it Possible?

• A
  • Thread starter Simon Bridge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr Phyiscs
In summary, the gravitational field in a non-stationary spacetime is not described by a potential energy function.
Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I get asked a lot of questions like "what is the gravitational field due to xyz curved spacetime" ... and I don't think the concepts match well the way the querant is thinking.

However, I was wondering if there is a sort-of way to get to something like that.

I would normally think of a gravitational field as the potential energy function in some coordinate system ... that would be, the amount of work has to be done to get a test mass from at rest at some (reference) place to at rest in another place.

There's a way to work that out from GR and I forget ... it's the sort of thing that used to be given to students to show why it is problematic and not all that useful. Still, if going to use GR to do something in real life, you want to know how much energy will be needed to do something like change orbits. So it's doable.

I thought rather than figure it out myself, ask to see if there is a shortcut for common situations other people know about, or if there is a resource set up for this style of thinking.

Am I making sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
I would normally think of a gravitational field as the potential energy function in some coordinate system ... that would be, the amount of work has to be done to get a test mass from at rest at some (reference) place to at rest in another place.

This works, but only in a restricted class of spacetimes, the stationary spacetimes. A stationary spacetime has a timelike Killing vector field, and you can treat each of the integral curves of that timelike KVF as labeling a "point in space", and the norm of the timelike KVF along each integral curve is the "potential energy" at that point in space. Then everything works just as you describe.

However, there are many spacetimes of interest which are not stationary; the most commonly used ones are the FRW spacetimes of cosmology. In a non-stationary spacetime, there is no well-defined "potential energy", so what you describe does not work.

Likes Simon Bridge and vanhees71

1. Can General Relativity (GR) be reconciled with naive physics?

It is currently an open question whether GR, which describes the behavior of gravity, can be reconciled with naive physics, which is based on classical mechanics. Some scientists argue that GR can be incorporated into naive physics by limiting its application to certain scales or by introducing additional principles.

2. What is naive physics?

Naive physics is a term used to describe a set of intuitive principles and rules that govern our understanding of the physical world. These principles are based on our everyday experiences and observations, and are often inconsistent with the laws of physics as described by theories like GR or quantum mechanics.

3. How does GR differ from naive physics?

GR and naive physics differ in several ways. GR is a mathematical theory that describes the behavior of gravity and the structure of space-time, while naive physics is based on intuitive principles and observations. Additionally, GR is a relativistic theory, meaning that it takes into account the effects of gravity on the structure of space-time, while naive physics is based on classical mechanics that do not account for relativistic effects.

4. Can naive physics be used to describe everyday phenomena?

Yes, naive physics is often used to describe and predict everyday phenomena. However, it has limitations when it comes to describing extreme or complex situations, such as those involving high speeds, strong gravitational fields, or quantum effects.

5. Are there attempts to reconcile GR with naive physics?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to reconcile GR with naive physics. Some scientists propose modifying GR to be more compatible with naive physics, while others suggest that a new theory may be needed to fully reconcile the two. Some also argue that the differences between GR and naive physics may simply reflect the limitations of our current understanding and that a deeper understanding of the universe may eventually reconcile the two.