Grad School Chances with a Low GPA: My Story

In summary, the individual is currently completing their BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology and is planning to pursue a masters in actual engineering. They are concerned about their chances of acceptance into grad school due to their past performance in math courses. They are considering taking regular Calculus 2 instead of Calculus Applications and possibly taking Calculus 3 as a general elective to improve their chances. It is also mentioned that extracurricular activities, research experience, internships, and letters of recommendation may also play a role in grad school acceptance.
Ulyaoth
So I'm trying to finish up my BS in Mechanical Engineering technology, have decided within the last year I definitely want to go to grad school for a masters in actual engineering, just worried about my chances. My present GPA is around 3.23, I'm retaking a class that if I do good in should bring me back up to a 3.3 plus whatever else I do this semester which so far is pretty good. Just worrying because I've not been too good in math, the class I'm retaking is Calculus I which I'm doing pretty good in since I picked up better algebra skills since first taking it to help some plus being more serious to begin with. Only thing is it's a calculus applications class, and I've seen for transfer credits to some other universities they don't count it at least towards a bachelor's degree.

I still need to take calc 2 next fall, but the one listed on my degree requirements is also calc 2 applications, I'm going to talk to my chairman if taking regular calc 2 would be allowed to fulfill that requirement instead so that it'll help toward my chances of getting into grad school. I'm wondering if this is worth it because I've been having difficulty researching if grad schools really care for prerequisite classes in undergrad to be accepted, since I know a lot of grad students at Stonybrook who just say in their first year they're taking a bunch more math classes there to make up for having not taken as much as stonybrook undergrads would have taken.

Which leads to my next question, I took a college algebra class a few years ago due to not having finished math b(second level of math in NY when I was in high school) that didn't count towards my major, but now I've been given an exempt on taking a language class and have been told to take a gen ed elective, which that class would fit, and thus I won't have to take so many classes my last semester and potentially do better next semester from less workload of course, but figured if it's available to get a better understanding of math I'd take calc 3.

Sorry for rambling a bit but any thoughts, suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
It definitely sounds like you are on the right track! Taking Calc 2 instead of Calc Applications could be a good idea if it would give you a better chance of getting into grad school. However, if you do decide to take Calc 3 as a general elective, it could be beneficial to your grad school chances as well - it would show that you have a strong background in math, which is an important part of engineering. Additionally, having a deeper understanding of calculus could help with any future coursework related to engineering. It's also important to keep in mind that many grad schools look at more than just grades - they will want to see a good record of extracurricular activities, research experience, relevant internships, and letters of recommendation. It may be beneficial to start looking into those opportunities now, if you haven't already, to increase your chances of acceptance into grad school. Good luck!

Related to Grad School Chances with a Low GPA: My Story

1. Can I still get into grad school with a low GPA?

Yes, it is possible to get into grad school with a low GPA. While GPA is an important factor, admissions committees also consider other aspects such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and test scores.

2. How low is considered a "low" GPA for grad school?

Generally, a GPA below 3.0 is considered low for grad school. However, the specific threshold may vary depending on the program and institution. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

3. What can I do to improve my chances of getting into grad school with a low GPA?

One way to improve your chances is to focus on strengthening other aspects of your application, such as gaining research experience, obtaining strong letters of recommendation, and performing well on standardized tests. You can also consider explaining any extenuating circumstances that may have impacted your GPA in your personal statement.

4. Are there any specific programs or schools that are more lenient towards low GPAs?

Some programs and schools may have more lenient GPA requirements, particularly for students who excel in other areas. It is important to research and reach out to potential programs to inquire about their admissions criteria and any exceptions they may make for applicants with low GPAs.

5. Should I consider retaking courses to improve my GPA before applying to grad school?

This depends on your specific situation and the requirements of the programs you are interested in. Retaking courses can help improve your GPA, but it is important to consider the time and resources required for this option. It may be more beneficial to focus on strengthening other aspects of your application instead.