Grad School? Is this an option anymore?

In summary: If you average a 3.6 into a 2.6 to get a 3.4, that would be the correct way to get to a 3.4. A 3.6 is a good score for grad school, but a 3.7 is better and a 3.8 is even better. Are you sure those are out of reach?
jessdoan
Hi, so some background. I am an undergrad just now finishing my second year in my biophysics degree. I wanted to go into biomedical engineering, I understand that this is an insanely competitive field. My GPA is embarrassingly low. There are some reasons behind it, but everyone has their reasons don't they? I do not have any research experience right now, but I am looking at a potential research opportunity with a professor starting next semester, so perhaps I might get research experience from that and a good letter of recommendation.

My GPA is at a 2.64, but if I do very well moving forward I can definitely get it to a 3.0 minimum, but it is also possible if I grind my ass off to get a 3.4. However, higher than that seems very unlikely unless I postpone my degree. Should I admit defeat and come to terms with the fact that graduate studies is outside my capacity, or is there hope?

Please be brutal I really don't want false hope.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't get a 3.0 GPA, your application likely won't even be looked at (literally, when you apply online your application might not even be submitted if you do not meet this qualification). So, bare minimum, aim for a 3.0!

In the 3.0-3.4 range, you'll definitely need some research experience to help your application, but it's totally doable to get into grad school with that GPA, especially if you apply to less-competitive schools. Plus, if you show improvement in the next year (since senior year usually won't show up on your application), it will be noticed.

Definitely don't admit defeat :)

Jumping from a 2.6 to a 3.4 GPA is a substantial change. It's going to require that you do something quite differently. It's great if you can do that. Grad schools will look favourably on higher grades in upper year classes. And some schools, will weight your GPA more favourably toward your most recent years. So of course there's hope, if graduate school is really the direction you want to go.

But the harsh reality is that this isn't the kind of change that's as simple as "I'll just play less video games study more." One of the major challenges for students in the STEM fields who struggle in the first couple years of undergrad is that everything else builds on that foundation of knowledge. And if the foundation is shaky, it's that much harder to excel later on. So you'll need a solid plan for reinforcing that foundation.

Getting research experience is great. But that also tends to be a major time commitment - particularly if you're doing it during your academic semesters (as opposed to the summer). And it's going to cut into your study time. So you'll need a plan for that.

Finally, if you do make it into graduate school, remember that you're going through a high-pass filter. Your new peers will be the most academically successful of your current peers.

Likes Vanadium 50
Choppy said:
Jumping from a 2.6 to a 3.4 GPA is a substantial change. It's going to require that you do something quite differently. It's great if you can do that. Grad schools will look favourably on higher grades in upper year classes. And some schools, will weight your GPA more favourably toward your most recent years. So of course there's hope, if graduate school is really the direction you want to go.

But the harsh reality is that this isn't the kind of change that's as simple as "I'll just play less video games study more." One of the major challenges for students in the STEM fields who struggle in the first couple years of undergrad is that everything else builds on that foundation of knowledge. And if the foundation is shaky, it's that much harder to excel later on. So you'll need a solid plan for reinforcing that foundation.

Getting research experience is great. But that also tends to be a major time commitment - particularly if you're doing it during your academic semesters (as opposed to the summer). And it's going to cut into your study time. So you'll need a plan for that.

Finally, if you do make it into graduate school, remember that you're going through a high-pass filter. Your new peers will be the most academically successful of your current peers.
Thank you for the feedback! I really do appreciate the time you allotted towards my inquiry!

If I can do arithmetic, you need to average a 3.6 into a 2.6 to get a 3.4. A 3.6 is a good score for grad school. But 3.7 is better. And 3.8 is better still. Are you sure those are out of reach?

@Vanadium 50 Well I will obviously do the best of my ability, but I think it is good to give myself realistic/ slightly pessimistic estimation of my abilities. I am assuming that I will average a 3.6 optimistically and if I do better, and I hope I will, all the better. But as right now I am averaging 2.6, I don't want to overestimate myself.

To the OP:

The fact that you are finishing your second year of your biophysics degree with a GPA of 2.6 does put you at a disadvantage in terms of doing better in your subsequent years, since the material in your senior years build upon the foundations established in your first and second year courses.

My questions to you are the following:

1. Why were your GPA for the first 2 years so low? Did you have trouble understanding and comprehending the material in your programs in the first 2 years?

2. Which courses in your first 2 years did you do the most poorly? Did you fail any classes?

3. Related to both 1, 2 -- do you still have problems comprehending any part of your courses completed in the first 2 years?

If question #3 is yes, then I would suggest you seriously consider retaking your earlier courses before advancing further in your degree if that option is available. If retaking the courses is not an option, then perhaps consider taking a temporarily leave of absence for one year to review and audit your earlier courses, so that your foundations are solid. This would increase the probability that you would excel in your senior year courses.

Last edited:
1. There were personal problems regarding family and due to that some mental problems emerged as well. I had a lot of responsibilities regarding the medical problems of close family members coupled with the stress of transitioning into college became overwhelming, and I became really unmotivated and depressed. I admit the first semester could have gone much better than it did there was some immaturity and a lack of planning present there as well. If I was to be honest I didn't find any material save from my modern physics class that was too difficult. It was just lack of time available for me to just sit and study. I knew material in a very surface level so when test time came it was hard to answer more complex application questions that the professor expected you to understand.

2. I earned two C's but what plunged my GPA were a few B- (2.7). I did not fail any classes. It was sustained B- level work that harmed me GPA-wise. The classes that I received C's on was Multivariate Calculus and Math Methods.

3. I don't think I have problems understanding any class except for Modern Physics. The others I think just need intensive review. Because when I was taking the courses I understood at a very surface level, the material didn't stick. It is harder to recall and utilize the information learned in these classes. To remedy this, I am most definitely self studying over break, but if you think that I should retake or audit courses I am open to this as well.

jessdoan said:
1. There were personal problems regarding family and due to that some mental problems emerged as well. I had a lot of responsibilities regarding the medical problems of close family members coupled with the stress of transitioning into college became overwhelming, and I became really unmotivated and depressed. I admit the first semester could have gone much better than it did there was some immaturity and a lack of planning present there as well. If I was to be honest I didn't find any material save from my modern physics class that was too difficult. It was just lack of time available for me to just sit and study. I knew material in a very surface level so when test time came it was hard to answer more complex application questions that the professor expected you to understand.

2. I earned two C's but what plunged my GPA were a few B- (2.7). I did not fail any classes. It was sustained B- level work that harmed me GPA-wise. The classes that I received C's on was Multivariate Calculus and Math Methods.

3. I don't think I have problems understanding any class except for Modern Physics. The others I think just need intensive review. Because when I was taking the courses I understood at a very surface level, the material didn't stick. It is harder to recall and utilize the information learned in these classes. To remedy this, I am most definitely self studying over break, but if you think that I should retake or audit courses I am open to this as well.

Thank you for clarifying with me on the questions I've posed. If I understand you correctly, I believe you stated that you found the Modern Physics course the most difficult to understand. That, combined with your C's in Multivariate Calculus and Math Methods, does concern me if you intend on continuing to major in biophysics.

I think it's definitely a good idea to self-study over your break, but I would also suggest that you get feedback from others on whether you understand the earlier material correctly. In which case retaking or auditing courses may be one way of doing so. Another way would be to perhaps speak to a faculty member or a TA in the related departments for feedback on material you've worked out.

This is the case where speaking with your undergraduate advisor may be especially helpful.

Last edited:

1. What is graduate school?

Graduate school is a post-secondary education option for students who have completed their undergraduate degree and wish to pursue further education in a specific field or discipline. It typically involves more advanced and specialized coursework, as well as research and/or practical experience.

2. Is graduate school still a viable option in today's job market?

Yes, graduate school is still a valuable option in today's job market. Many employers value the advanced skills and knowledge that graduate students acquire, and having a graduate degree can often lead to higher paying and more specialized job opportunities.

3. How long does it take to complete graduate school?

The length of time it takes to complete graduate school varies depending on the program and the student's individual pace. Generally, a master's degree can take 1-3 years to complete, while a doctoral degree can take 3-7 years.

4. What are the benefits of attending graduate school?

Attending graduate school can have many benefits, including advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, increased job opportunities and potential for higher salaries, networking opportunities, and personal and professional growth.

5. What are the requirements for getting into graduate school?

The requirements for graduate school vary depending on the program and institution. Generally, applicants will need to have a bachelor's degree, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and may also need to take standardized tests such as the GRE or GMAT. Some programs may also require relevant work experience or a portfolio of previous work.