Grad school: what can I study with a B.S in CS and Physics?

In summary, there are many fields open to individuals with degrees in both CS and physics, including engineering, mathematics, economics, finance, and astronomy. While some programs may require additional coursework, options are still broad and varied. Additionally, there are opportunities for graduate study in fields such as economics and astronomy.
Carnivroar
What fields can I get into with these two degrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be CS and physics.

Some engineering programs welcome students with Physics degrees. Computer Engineering would be convenient for you. However, you probably have to make up missing courses the first year.

Many other fields are open such as Mathematics (again make up classes), I know physics undergrads who went to Economics for graduate school.

And obviously anything Physics related.

twofu said:
I know physics undergrads who went to Economics for graduate school.

That's what I'm interested in. I want to know how broad my options are outside these two fields.

My buddy went to Masters program for Econ with very little preparation, so I'm not sure about the PhD in Econ.

Finance programs also take physics undergrads. Out of that, I am not sure what else although I am sure there is.. Google around for a bit, you might find your answer =D

What about astronomy?

You can go into almost any science.

Carnivroar said:
What about astronomy?

Of course. Astronomy is a big part of physics. It's one of the sub-fields that a lot of grad students go into. (Astronomy is a bit different from Astrophysics but its similar in the big picture.)

twofu said:
Of course. Astronomy is a big part of physics. It's one of the sub-fields that a lot of grad students go into. (Astronomy is a bit different from Astrophysics but its similar in the big picture.)

Great, thank you for the answers.

Related to Grad school: what can I study with a B.S in CS and Physics?

1. What types of graduate programs can I pursue with a B.S in Computer Science and Physics?

With a B.S in Computer Science and Physics, you can pursue graduate programs in various fields such as Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, Data Science, and more. You can also consider interdisciplinary programs that combine both fields, such as Computational Physics or Quantum Computing.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a graduate degree in Computer Science and Physics?

A graduate degree in Computer Science and Physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities. You can work in research and development, engineering, data analysis, software development, and more. You can also work in industries such as aerospace, defense, technology, and finance.

3. Can I pursue a graduate degree in a specific area of Computer Science or Physics with a B.S in CS and Physics?

Yes, with a B.S in Computer Science and Physics, you can pursue a graduate degree in a specific area of either field. For example, if you are interested in artificial intelligence, you can pursue a graduate degree in Computer Science with a focus on AI. Similarly, you can pursue a graduate degree in Physics with a focus on areas such as astrophysics, quantum physics, or biophysics.

4. Are there any prerequisites or recommended courses for graduate programs in Computer Science and Physics?

The specific prerequisites and recommended courses may vary depending on the program and university. Generally, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is also beneficial to have coursework in programming, physics, and computer science fundamentals.

5. Is it possible to pursue a graduate degree in Computer Science and Physics if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in Computer Science and Physics even if your undergraduate degree is in a different field. However, you may be required to take additional coursework to meet the prerequisites for the program. It is recommended to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in to determine if you need to take any additional courses before applying.