Is My Solution to the Grade 11 Physics Problem Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of a system using the equations Ff= u(Fn) and Fnet=ma. The correctness of the solution is questioned, but it is deemed correct after considering the estimated value of g. The conversation also touches upon the concept of friction and the importance of writing correct equations.
taotao
Find the acceleration of the system
Ff= u(Fn)
Fnet=ma

IMG_1389.jpg

I would just like to know if the way that I solved this problem is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if you estimate g to be [itex]10\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex] instead of [itex]9.8\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex] then this is correct.(Assuming there's no friction between the 20N weight and the side)EDIT:
It kind of looks like you said the 5N weight was a part of the frictional force, which isn't true.

At any rate, your answer is correct.

Yes, the second line of working is wrong---for two reasons. The only friction force here is the 4N.

An equals sign means exactly that, viz, "equals". You have misused it on that line.

Apart from those matters, it looks good! :smile:

You wrote 10 x 0.4 = 4+5 which is not correct. As a teacher I do take points away from my students when they do that even if they get the correct equation at the end. Always make sure that every equation you write on the paper is correct.

Tip: Don't just write down the steps you took when using the calculator. That doesn't work.

It is difficult to determine the accuracy of your solution without seeing your calculations and the given values for the variables. However, based on the information provided in the question, it seems like you have correctly used the equations for friction and net force to find the acceleration of the system. It is important to make sure that your units are consistent and to double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

1. What topics are typically covered in Grade 11 high school physics?

In Grade 11 high school physics, students typically learn about mechanics, including kinematics, forces, and energy; electricity and magnetism, including circuits and electromagnetism; waves, including sound and light; and basic principles of modern physics, such as relativity and quantum mechanics.

2. Is Grade 11 high school physics difficult?

The difficulty of Grade 11 high school physics can vary depending on the individual student and their level of understanding and interest in the subject. However, it is generally considered a challenging course due to the complex concepts and mathematical calculations involved.

3. How can I prepare for Grade 11 high school physics?

To prepare for Grade 11 high school physics, it is important to have a solid understanding of algebra and basic trigonometry. It may also be helpful to review fundamental physics concepts, such as motion and forces, before starting the course. Practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills can also aid in preparation.

4. What are the benefits of taking Grade 11 high school physics?

Taking Grade 11 high school physics can provide students with a strong foundation in scientific thinking and problem-solving skills. It can also prepare them for more advanced physics courses in college and potential careers in science, engineering, and technology.

5. Are there any resources available to help with Grade 11 high school physics?

There are many resources available to help students with Grade 11 high school physics, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It is also important to communicate with the teacher and ask for extra help or clarification when needed.