Gradients and linear transport

In summary, the conversation is about a problem related to linear transport that the speaker is struggling with. They have tried reading and researching, but still have not been able to solve the problem. They also mention that they do not know much about linear transport and are unsure of how to approach the problem. The conversation ends with a question about flow rate and whether it remains constant.
cheddar87
So I have NO IDEA how to do this problem. I am assuming it has to do with linear transport because that's the next section in the book but we have yet to talk about this in lab and briefly (one slide) discussed this in lecture. I tried reading in my book which was did no good as it just showed how to derive the linear transport equation for different materials such as liquids and heat. I literally don't know what to do with this problem...

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 338
Physics news on Phys.org
I feel you can show more effort. Which image do you think will have the fastest flow, if any? Why do you think that?

i don't know because i thought flow rate was constant. no i can't show more effort, I've been staring at this problem for two hours now, googling, and flipping through my textbook and i still have a blank sheet of paper. As i stated, i don't know anything about linear transport so i don't know how to do this problem

cheddar87 said:
i thought flow rate was constant.
So the flow would continue when the levels are equal?

Related to Gradients and linear transport

1. What is a gradient?

A gradient is a rate of change in a quantity over a given distance or direction. It can refer to changes in temperature, pressure, concentration, or any other physical property.

2. How are gradients represented?

Gradients are often represented graphically with a line or arrow indicating the direction and magnitude of the change. They can also be expressed mathematically using differential calculus.

3. What is linear transport?

Linear transport is the movement of a substance or property in a straight line from one point to another. It can occur through various mechanisms such as diffusion, convection, or advection.

4. How are gradients and linear transport related?

Gradients are responsible for driving linear transport, as substances or properties tend to move from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration. The steeper the gradient, the faster the linear transport will occur.

5. What are some real-world applications of gradients and linear transport?

Gradients and linear transport are important in many natural and industrial processes, such as ocean currents, atmospheric circulation, and chemical reactions. They are also utilized in technologies such as water filtration, heat transfer, and drug delivery systems.