Gradients of curves to find average growth rate between two points

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average growth rate of a fish population using a quadratic model. The population size at two specific time points is given and the formula for calculating the average growth rate is mentioned. The final answer is given as "-200 fish per day".
srg263
Hello Maths Help Board Users,

I was hoping for some guidance on the following problem. Thanks in advance for your contributions and time.

"A fish population grew according to the following quadratic model - the number of fish on day t is given by
P (t) = 800t - t2"

Q) Find the average growth rate between t=400 and t=600.

The population size at t=600 is 120,000 and at t=400 is 160,000

Am i correct in understanding to find the average growth rate between t=400 and t=600 i need to work out the slope between the two points?

Change in population / change in time
= 120,000 - 160,000 / 600 - 400
= -40,000 / 200
= -200 (this is the gradient of the line?)

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think you have the right idea here, that the average growth rate $R$ is the total change in population divided by the total change in time:

\(\displaystyle \overline{R}=\frac{\Delta P}{\Delta t}=\frac{P\left(t_2\right)-P\left(t_1\right)}{t_2-t_1}\)

To be completely correct (if you had a really hard nosed teacher, like me) you should give the answer as

"-200 fish per day"

1. What is a gradient of a curve?

A gradient of a curve is a measure of the slope or steepness of a curve at a particular point. It is also known as the rate of change or the derivative of a curve.

2. How is the gradient of a curve calculated?

The gradient of a curve is calculated by finding the change in the y-coordinate divided by the change in the x-coordinate between two points on the curve. This can be represented by the formula: Gradient = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1).

3. What is the significance of finding the gradient of a curve?

Finding the gradient of a curve allows us to determine the rate of change or growth between two points. This can be useful in various fields, such as economics, physics, and biology, to analyze trends and make predictions.

4. How is the gradient used to find the average growth rate between two points?

The gradient of a curve represents the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point. To find the average growth rate between two points, we can take the average of the gradients at those two points. This will give us a more accurate representation of the overall growth between the two points.

5. Can the gradient of a curve be negative?

Yes, the gradient of a curve can be negative. A negative gradient indicates that the curve is decreasing or has a negative slope. This means that the y-coordinate is decreasing as the x-coordinate increases.