Graduate studies in astrophysics

In summary, most US universities require the GRE subject test for admission, but it is possible to get a school to admit you without it. It is also important to explain why you don't have the test in your statement of purpose. If you can find some universities that don't require the GRE subject test, you could apply to them instead.
amalmirando
Hi,
I'm really keen on pursuing higher studies in astrophysics in a US university. But currently in a confused state in selecting a suitable university that does not require GRE physics test to apply.
Some say i should write personally to professors of the desired field and if lucky i might get a scholl. is there any truth associated with it?

please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with taking the GRE Physics test?

Most universities have their deadlines for fall in between december and february. In my country the next GRE physics test is in april. So itt would be late for me to apply if i take the test in april and would have to wait another year .

I see. Most of the best US universities do require the GRE subject test. I think your best option would be to go ahead and apply without it, but explain in your statement of purpose why you don't have it, and why you thinnk you can succeed in the studies. You could also write to professors at your targeted universities, as you suggested. This can't hurt and might help. Do you have any equivalent test from your country that you can offer as a substitute for the GRE? How will the schools that you are applying to be able to judge whether or not you can do the work?

It might be possible to get a school to admit you with the condition that you take the test next April and get a certain minimum score.

phyzguy said:
Do you have any equivalent test from your country that you can offer as a substitute for the GRE? How will the schools that you are applying to be able to judge whether or not you can do the work?
I have only done the general GRE test and taking TOEFL in january. other than that no equivalent test . but i have shown excellent performances in my studies and obtained a first class honours degree.

So my advice would be to go ahead and apply, explaining in your statement of purpose why you don't have the physics GRE, as well as writing to one or two professors from each university explaining how good you are and why you don't have the GRE. What have you got to lose? The worst case is that they say no and you take the GRE next year and re-apply a year later. If you can find some universities that don't need the physics GRE, you could apply there too as a back-up.

hey thanks a lot...

Related to Graduate studies in astrophysics

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that deals with the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects, such as stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It combines principles from physics, mathematics, and chemistry to study the origin, evolution, and structure of these objects.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing graduate studies in astrophysics?

Graduate studies in astrophysics can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in a rapidly growing field. It can also open up opportunities for research and career paths in academia, government agencies, and private industries. Additionally, studying astrophysics can deepen your understanding of the universe and our place in it.

3. What are the prerequisites for graduate studies in astrophysics?

Prerequisites for graduate studies in astrophysics typically include a bachelor's degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field. Strong mathematical and computational skills are also necessary, as well as a solid foundation in physics and astronomy concepts. Some programs may also require applicants to have research experience or relevant coursework.

4. What can I expect from a graduate program in astrophysics?

A graduate program in astrophysics will typically involve coursework in advanced topics such as cosmology, stellar evolution, and planetary science. You will also have the opportunity to conduct research under the guidance of experienced faculty members and may have the chance to participate in observational or theoretical projects. Many programs also offer opportunities for teaching experience and professional development.

5. What are the career prospects for graduates with a degree in astrophysics?

Graduates with a degree in astrophysics have a wide range of career options available to them. Some may choose to pursue academic positions, such as research scientists or professors, while others may work in government agencies or private companies in fields such as aerospace, space technology, or data analysis. There are also opportunities in science communication and outreach, as well as in areas that require strong analytical and problem-solving skills.