Graph Bending Moment Equation in Excel/Matlab

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of graphing the equation of bending moment using Excel or Matlab. The formula for bending moment is σ = MC / I and the steps for creating the graph are outlined, including defining variables M, C, and I and plotting the results. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding bending moment and suggests revising the concept before proceeding with graphing.
aaalanc
how can i graph the equation of the bending moment?
The equation is: σ = MC / I and i want to graph in excel or matlab, , so i know that the graph is a straight line, and i have the values, but i don't know how draw the graph

Physics news on Phys.org
let's say you've got a set of x-coordinates, from x=0 to x=L. If you're using matlab, type the following:

x=linspace(0,L,L)

where L is the total length of the beam. That will give you an entire array of x-values.

I'm assuming M is dependent upon x. You should have some sort of equation already. C and I are constant the whole length of the beam, I hope. (If not, then they still depend on x, and you can simplify MC/I into one big function of x). So now, define M, C, and I in the program:
M= whatever
C= whatever
I = 1/12*whatever*whatever^3

Then, define Sigma in terms of M, C, and I (which are already defined in terms of x).

Sigma = M*C/I

Finally, you can plot the results by typing:

plot(x,Sigma)

Did you do as I suggested and revise what a bending moment is?

You say you want to plot a graph of bending moment but your formula is for something different.

What is sigma, M, C and I in your formula and how is a plot of sigma v x a plot of bending moment?

1. What is the Graph Bending Moment Equation?

The Graph Bending Moment Equation is an equation that describes the relationship between the bending moment and the curvature of a beam or structure. It is used in structural analysis to determine the maximum stress and deformation in a beam under a given load.

2. How do I create a Graph Bending Moment Equation in Excel?

To create a Graph Bending Moment Equation in Excel, you can use the built-in function "SLOPE" to calculate the slope of the curve at different points. Then, you can use the "TREND" function to fit a linear equation to the data points. This linear equation represents the Graph Bending Moment Equation.

3. Can I use Matlab to plot a Graph Bending Moment Equation?

Yes, Matlab is a powerful tool for plotting and analyzing data. You can use the "plot" function to plot the data points and then use the "polyfit" function to fit a polynomial equation to the data. This polynomial equation can be used as the Graph Bending Moment Equation.

4. What are the inputs for the Graph Bending Moment Equation?

The inputs for the Graph Bending Moment Equation are the beam's length, cross-sectional dimensions, material properties, and the applied load. These inputs are used to calculate the bending moment and curvature at different points along the beam's length.

5. How accurate is the Graph Bending Moment Equation?

The accuracy of the Graph Bending Moment Equation depends on the accuracy of the input data and the assumptions made in the structural analysis. It is important to carefully consider all factors and make appropriate adjustments for a more accurate result.