Graph theory proof related to trees

In summary: Hence \(G\) must be a connected graph.In summary, a graph on \(v\) vertices that has no cycle is connected iff it has precisely \(v-1\) edges. This has been proven using necessary and sufficient conditions.
annie122
Prove that a graph on v vertices that has no cycle is connected iff it has precisely v-1 edges.

Necessary Condition:
A connected graph with no cycles is a tree. Therefore, it has v-1 edges.

Sufficient Condition:
I need help with this.
How can I use "a connected graph has no cycles iff it has exactly v-1 edges"?

Also, is my proof for the necessary condition correct?

edit:
I was able to come up with one.

Suppose G is disconnected.
Let the components be G1 and G2, each having n and m vertices respectively.
Since both are connected and have no cycles, they have n-1 edges and m-1 edges.
Hence, G has only (n-1)+(m-1)=v-2 edges.
Therefore, if G has v-1 edges and has no cycles, G must be connected.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yuuki said:
Prove that a graph on v vertices that has no cycle is connected iff it has precisely v-1 edges.

Necessary Condition:
A connected graph with no cycles is a tree. Therefore, it has v-1 edges.

Sufficient Condition:
I need help with this.
How can I use "a connected graph has no cycles iff it has exactly v-1 edges"?

Also, is my proof for the necessary condition correct?

edit:
I was able to come up with one.

Suppose G is disconnected.
Let the components be G1 and G2, each having n and m vertices respectively.
Since both are connected and have no cycles, they have n-1 edges and m-1 edges.
Hence, G has only (n-1)+(m-1)=v-2 edges.
Therefore, if G has v-1 edges and has no cycles, G must be connected.

Hi Yuuki, :)

I think you'll have to revise what is meant by Necessity and Sufficiency in mathematics. In you problem you have to show that,

"A graph with \(v\) vertices that has no cycles is connected iff it has precisely \(v-1\) edges"

Here the condition, "a connected graph with \(v\) vertices and no cycles" is sufficient for that graph to have \(v-1\) edges. You have proved this using the definition of Trees.

On the other hand "a connected graph with \(v\) vertices and no cycles" is also necessary for that graph to have \(v-1\) edges. Hence we use the phrase, "necessary and sufficient" for "iff" statements. For this you may assume that, "\(G\) is a disconnected graph with no cycles which has \(v\) vertices and \(v-1\) edges". This will give you a contradiction.

1. What is a tree in graph theory?

A tree in graph theory is a type of graph with no cycles or loops. It consists of a set of vertices connected by edges, and every pair of vertices is connected by a unique path.

2. What is a proof in graph theory?

A proof in graph theory is a logical argument that shows the validity of a statement or theorem about graphs. It typically involves using mathematical principles and techniques to demonstrate the truth of a given statement.

3. How do you prove that a graph is a tree?

To prove that a graph is a tree, you can use one of two methods: (1) show that the graph has no cycles, or (2) show that the graph is connected and contains n-1 edges, where n is the number of vertices. If both conditions are met, then the graph is a tree.

4. What is the importance of trees in graph theory?

Trees are important in graph theory because they have many real-world applications. They can be used to model various systems, such as computer networks, family trees, and decision-making processes. Trees also have properties that make them useful for solving problems and proving theorems in graph theory.

5. Can every graph be represented as a tree?

No, not every graph can be represented as a tree. To be a tree, a graph must have no cycles, which means that it cannot represent certain types of relationships or systems. However, every connected graph can be broken down into a collection of trees, which is known as a forest.