Graph x=(x-2)^2: Find x = -2 & x = 2 Roots

In summary, the conversation is about a quadratic equation and how to solve it algebraically and graphically. The equation is y = (x-2)^2 and it has two roots, x = -2 or x = 2. When graphed, the equation only has one root at x = 2, which is a point of confusion for the person. The experts explain that the equation is a translation of y = x^2 and the axis of symmetry is at x = 2. To find the roots, the equation is set equal to 0 and solved, resulting in x = 2 as the only solution. The experts also mention that sometimes we can overcomplicate things in math and that setting the equation equal to
Casio1
I have a bit of a misunderstanding with;y = (x - 2)^2I understand it to be a quadratic, and if I used the formula to work it out I would see two roots,x = - 2 or x = 2 If I put the above equation into a graphics calculator the result is always x = 2Looking at the equation above I could just say x^2 and 2^2 = x^2 + 4 What I don't understand is by looking at the equation how x = 2 when it is graphed?I know its right but don't understand?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
To sketch the graph, note that:

y = (x-2)2

is the graph of y = x2 translated two units to the right.

Here is what the graph looks like.

[graph]xzrhkxtmh3[/graph]

We can see it only has one root so can you show us how you solved it algebraically?

MarkFL said:
To sketch the graph, note that:

y = (x-2)2

is the graph of y = x2 translated two units to the right.

I know you are right mark and the graphs I have are as you say the same, but translated two units to the right, which is a part I don't understand?

Jameson said:
Here is what the graph looks like.

[graph]xzrhkxtmh3[/graph]

We can see it only has one root so can you show us how you solved it algebraically?

I am not going to say this is absolutely correct and if not please do put me on the right tracks.

y = (x - 2)2

First I expanded the brackets;

(x - 2)(x - 2)

Then I multiplied them out;

x2- 2x - 2x + 4

then,

x2 - 4x + 4

At this point I thought I have a quadratic

ax2 + bx + c = 0

I used the formula

b + or - square root b2 - 4(a)(c)/2a

I put the data in;

4 + or - square root 42 - 4 x 4 / 2(1)

I ended up with

-4/2 = -2 or 4/2 = 2

Now I am not 100% sure if I am understanding the algebra with regards to;

ax2 + bx + c = 0 and

x2 - 4x + 4

I am not sure when using the above ax2 in relation to x2 whether I have 1 or 0 at that point?

I assumed 1, which is how I ended up with two roots.

But am unclear.

We know y = x2 has its axis of symmetry where x = 0. Then y = (x - h)2 will have its axis of symmetry where:

x - h = 0 or x = h.

This is a very common point of confusion for students of algebra. It seems to go against intuition that f(x - h) moves the graph of f(x) h units to the right, when h is being subtracted from x. What in fact happens is the axes are translated to the left, relative to the graph, which is the same as the graph being translated to the right relative to the axes.

You know that a vertical translation is y = f(x) + k. This moves the graph of y = f(x) up k units. This agrees nicely with intuition, since we are adding to the original to move it up. But, we may also write the translation as y - k = f(x).

Does this make more sense now?

With regards to finding the roots, we have:

y = (x - 2)2

To find the roots, we set y = 0, and have:

0 = (x - 2)2

Take the square root of both sides, noting that ±0 = 0.

x - 2 = 0

x = 2

Thus, we have the repeated root x = 2.

Casio,

As MarkFL showed this is actually much easier than the way you did it, which is always nice :) Sometimes we can over complicate things in math.

\(\displaystyle (x-2)^2=0\)

Why do we set this equal to 0? Well, the "roots" of a quadratic are the values of x that correspond to y=0. So we simply set y=0 and solve for x. Starting with the above equation we get that:

(1) \(\displaystyle (x-2)^2=0\)
(2) \(\displaystyle x-2 =0\) (take the square-root of both sides, noting that $\sqrt{0}=0$)
(3)\(\displaystyle x=2\)

Thus we get only 1 solution. Again, this is exactly what MarkFL showed.

MarkFL said:
We know y = x2 has its axis of symmetry where x = 0. Then y = (x - h)2 will have its axis of symmetry where:

x - h = 0 or x = h.

This is a very common point of confusion for students of algebra. It seems to go against intuition that f(x - h) moves the graph of f(x) h units to the right, when h is being subtracted from x. What in fact happens is the axes are translated to the left, relative to the graph, which is the same as the graph being translated to the right relative to the axes.

You know that a vertical translation is y = f(x) + k. This moves the graph of y = f(x) up k units. This agrees nicely with intuition, since we are adding to the original to move it up. But, we may also write the translation as y - k = f(x).

Does this make more sense now?

Thanks Mark, however you have introduced functions I think, which has made the understanding at the moment a little more difficult as I have not yet covered that module.

I think my misunderstanding is in the idea of what I should do to the equation;

y = (x - 2)2

I look at the above and I say everything in the brackets are squared, so;

y = x2 - 22 , and this becomes; x2 - 4

Looking at the above I see a quadratic graph at y = - 4, which I know is incorrect.

So I am looking for a mathematical rule which tells me the correct way that a given branch of mathematics should be worked out.

The administrator did it this way;

y = (x - 2)2
0 = (x - 2)2
sqrt 0 = x - 2

x = 2

so 2 has moved to the opposite side of x, which I have seen many times before but am unsure when to use which order of working out, i.e the long winded way I did previously or this short quick method which I did not know about?

You have made a very common error, sometimes referred to as "the freshman's dream," which is to state:

(x - 2)2 = x2 - 22

This is not true, what you actually have is:

(x - 2)2 = x2 - 4x + 4

If you have been taught the FOIL method, try this with:

(x - 2)(x - 2)

and you will find the above result.

Casio said:
I am not going to say this is absolutely correct and if not please do put me on the right tracks.

y = (x - 2)2

First I expanded the brackets;

(x - 2)(x - 2)

Then I multiplied them out;

x2- 2x - 2x + 4

then,

x2 - 4x + 4

At this point I thought I have a quadratic

ax2 + bx + c = 0

I used the formula

b + or - square root b2 - 4(a)(c)/2a

I put the data in;

4 + or - square root 42 - 4 x 4 / 2(1)

I ended up with

-4/2 = -2 or 4/2 = 2

Hi casio, :)

The approach you have taken in finding the roots is correct although a much more easier method is suggested by Jameson. The part where you have made a mistake is highlighted above. Check it again,

\[x=\frac{4\pm \sqrt{4^2 - (4\times 4)}}{2\times 1}\]

Casio said:
Now I am not 100% sure if I am understanding the algebra with regards to;

ax2 + bx + c = 0 and

x2 - 4x + 4

I am not sure when using the above ax2 in relation to x2 whether I have 1 or 0 at that point?

I assumed 1, which is how I ended up with two roots.

But am unclear.

\(ax^2+bx+c=0\) is the general form of a quadratic equation. Compare the quadratic equation \(x^2-4x + 4\) with the general form and see what are the coefficients. Then, \(a=1,\,b=-4\mbox{ and }c=4\). So you are correct in mentioning \(a=1\).

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Related to Graph x=(x-2)^2: Find x = -2 & x = 2 Roots

1. What is the equation being graphed?

The equation being graphed is x=(x-2)^2.

2. What is the significance of finding the x=-2 and x=2 roots?

These roots represent the x-values at which the graph intersects the x-axis. They are important because they help us determine the behavior of the graph and the solutions of the equation.

3. How do you find the roots of the equation?

To find the roots, we set the equation equal to 0 and solve for x. In this case, we would set (x-2)^2=0 and solve for x, which gives us x=-2 and x=2 as the roots.

4. What is the shape of the graph of x=(x-2)^2?

The graph of x=(x-2)^2 is a parabola. Specifically, it is a "U"-shaped parabola that opens upwards.

5. How do the roots affect the shape of the graph?

The roots determine the location of the x-intercepts of the graph. In this case, since the roots are both positive, the graph will have two x-intercepts, one at x=-2 and one at x=2. The roots also affect the symmetry and turning points of the parabola.