Graphing Displacement Difficulties

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a graph of displacement for a homework problem. The student provided a picture of their attempted graph but it was not accepted and they are unsure of what to do since there are no specific instructions given. They are asking for help and the responder is requesting more information and equations to assist.
dumakey1212

Homework Statement

Here's a graph of displacement it wants me to make: http://s15.postimg.org/7v1x5najv/graph.png. I tried that graph in the picture as the answer but it didn't accept it. There are no numbers or specifics for Figure 1 they give you, so I'm confused on what to do. Very strange, any help would be much appreciated because I'm really blanking. I believe I've provided everything, but let me know if not!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't make heads or tails of this. You haven't said what, exactly, the problem is, what the initial upward speed or initial height was or what you graph is supposed to be. I looks like you have straight lines between the calculated points. Of course that is wrong but are you able to draw a smooth parabola through those points?

The relevant equations will help you find the right numbers.

Are you aware that you are asking for help without telling what numers you entered ? If you want further assistance, use the template first.

Related to Graphing Displacement Difficulties

1. What is displacement and why is it difficult to graph?

Displacement is the distance and direction an object has moved from its original position. It is difficult to graph because it involves tracking both distance and direction, which can be challenging to represent visually.

2. How can I accurately graph displacement?

To accurately graph displacement, you need to plot the change in distance and direction over time. This can be done by using a coordinate system, with time on the x-axis and displacement on the y-axis. Each data point represents the object's position at a specific time.

3. What are some common mistakes when graphing displacement?

One common mistake is not including the direction of displacement in the graph. Another mistake is not labeling the axes correctly, which can make it difficult to interpret the data. Additionally, not plotting data points accurately or not connecting them with a line can also lead to errors.

4. How can I interpret a displacement graph?

A displacement graph shows the change in distance and direction over time. The slope of the line represents the object's velocity, with a steeper slope indicating a higher velocity. The sign of the slope (+ or -) indicates the direction of motion (positive for forward motion, negative for backward motion).

5. Can displacement graphing be used for non-linear motion?

Yes, displacement graphing can be used for non-linear motion. In this case, the graph will not be a straight line, but rather a curve. The slope of the curve at any point represents the object's instantaneous velocity at that time. It is important to use small time intervals when graphing non-linear motion to accurately represent the object's changing velocity.