Graphing Matlab Heat Transfer | T_0 Variable

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties with working with heat transfer and graphing theoretical results using Matlab. The speaker has tried various methods, but has not been successful due to issues with solving a differential equation. They suggest using Mathematica for an analytic solution or a built-in numerical ODE solver in Matlab for plotting the solution.
Corey Williams
I'm working with heat transfer and need to graph theoretical results. I've tried several things and it will either throw something along the lines of "no explicit solution found" or just hang forever. I'm not new to programming, but I am new to the Matlab library. The only variable is T(t). T_0 is the known initial value.
n%20_1%20%2B%20%5Cepsilon%20_2%29%28T%28t%29%5E4-T_0%5E4%29&sig=a80379b09dc84b43d9ada9b17c73ba77.gif

Alternatively you can use
der?T%28t%29%5E4-T_0%5E4%5Capprox4T_0%5E3%28T%28t%29-T_0%29&sig=26bed7715e187fb1f47fbc4f389cbda8.gif

Code:
% One of the things I tried. Seems to be a lot of methods, not sure which one to use.
syms T(t);
ode = (v^2) / r == (mass * specifSubstrate) * diff(T,t) + a * (convSubstrate + convFilm) * (T - tempAmbient) + stefBolt * a *(emOne + emTwo) * (4 * tempAmbient^3 * (T - tempAmbient));
cond = T(0) == tempAmbient;
TSol(t) = dsolve(ode,cond);

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that your problem is solving the differential equation, not (as your title suggests) the plotting part itself.

While Matlab is very useful for numerical computations, symbolic manipulations is not where it shines. I would suggest using Mathematica if you need an analytic solution. However, if your only worry is plotting the solution, you can (and should) use any of Matlab’s built-in numerical ODE solvers.

1. How do I plot a heat transfer graph in Matlab with a variable initial temperature (T_0)?

To plot a heat transfer graph in Matlab with a variable initial temperature, you can use the "plot" function and specify the T_0 variable as one of the input parameters. For example, the command "plot(x, y, 'T_0', 100)" will plot a graph with the x values on the horizontal axis, y values on the vertical axis, and T_0 set to 100.

2. Can I change the color scheme of the heat transfer graph in Matlab?

Yes, you can change the color scheme of the heat transfer graph in Matlab by using the "colormap" function. This allows you to choose from a variety of color schemes or create your own custom color scheme.

3. How do I add a legend to the heat transfer graph in Matlab?

To add a legend to the heat transfer graph in Matlab, you can use the "legend" function. This function allows you to specify the labels for each data series on the graph and customize the location and appearance of the legend.

4. Is it possible to create a 3D heat transfer graph in Matlab?

Yes, it is possible to create a 3D heat transfer graph in Matlab by using the "surf" function. This function creates a surface plot where the height of the surface represents the heat transfer values at different points.

5. How can I save the heat transfer graph in Matlab as an image file?

To save the heat transfer graph in Matlab as an image file, you can use the "saveas" function. This function allows you to specify the file format (e.g. PNG, JPEG) and the file name for the saved image. You can also customize the resolution and size of the image.