Graphing the response of an underdamped circuit

In summary: But since the derivative is periodic with the same period as v(t), you can determine the next zero by adding one period to the first zero, and so on for the rest of them. In summary, to produce an approximate graph of the response by hand, you can sketch the envelope of the function y = Ae^{-kt} and then plot some points at key values of t. The maximum and minimum can be determined by adding one period to the first zero.
paulmdrdo
Homework Statement
Graph the response v(t)
Relevant Equations
SEE THE ATTACHED PHOTO
I'm having difficulty as to how I would produce an approximately graph of the response just by hand. I was able to determine the first maximum by taking the derivative of the response and setting to zero and I'm stuck. How do I know the succeding minimum and maximum of this response? TIA.

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of the response is periodic with the same period as v(t), so the next zero will be one period after the first zero, and so on for the rest of them.

Just how extreme is "by hand"? Are you able to use a calculator to calculate values of the expression for a few values of t? The graph will be zero at t=0 and again after one period of the sine wave. You could calculate a few points in between and plot them.

You can see that the exponent in the exponential is 2t. That will decay rapidly, almost vanishing in the time of one cycle of the sine wave.

Likes paulmdrdo
Sin SQRT[(2)*t] ?
Time t in deg or rad?

paulmdrdo said:
I'm having difficulty as to how I would produce an approximately graph of the response just by hand. I was able to determine the first maximum by taking the derivative of the response and setting to zero and I'm stuck. How do I know the succeding minimum and maximum of this response? TIA.
View attachment 242162
View attachment 242161
With these [itex] y = A\exp(-kt) sin(t) [/itex] (whether it is [itex] sin [/itex] or [itex] cos [/itex]), if you are looking for a 'rough' response, I think an easy way is to first sketch your [itex] Ae^{-kt} [/itex] portion of the graph (above and below the t-axis) and this is the boundaries of your graph (because the trig part can vary from 0 to 1, so it will never go outside of this 'envelope'). Then you can think of a couple different points (e.g. [itex] 0, \frac{\pi}{2}, \pi, etc... [/itex] and label those points on the graph). For example, I would think:
- for t = 0, sin(0) = 0 so y = 0
- for t = [itex] \frac{\pi}{2} [/itex], sin(pi/2) = 1, so the we will be at the value of [itex] y = Ae^{-kt} [/itex]
- for t = pi, sin(pi) = 0, so y = 0 again
- for t = [itex] \frac{3\pi}{2} [/itex], sin(3pi/2) = -1, so we will be at the value of [itex] y = \mathbf{-}Ae^{-kt} [/itex]

Then just connect the dots with a wave. I think this way is easier to do by hand when you just want a sketch. Hope that is of some use. Also note that the time period of the wave-forms/ oscillations remains constant despite the decreasing amplitude.

For the maximum and minimum, you could differentiate to confirm.

Likes paulmdrdo

1. What is an underdamped circuit?

An underdamped circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor, inductor, and capacitor. It is characterized by a transient response that oscillates before reaching a steady-state. This means that the current and voltage in the circuit will initially rise and fall before settling at a constant value.

2. How do you graph the response of an underdamped circuit?

To graph the response of an underdamped circuit, you will need to plot the voltage or current over time. The graph will show a curve that starts at zero, rises to a peak, and then decays to the steady-state value. This curve is called the transient response. You can also plot the natural response and forced response separately to get a better understanding of the circuit's behavior.

3. What is the significance of the damping factor in an underdamped circuit?

The damping factor in an underdamped circuit determines the rate at which the transient response decays. A lower damping factor means a slower decay, while a higher damping factor leads to a faster decay. The damping factor is also used to calculate the resonant frequency of the circuit, which is the frequency at which the circuit will oscillate the most.

4. How does the initial conditions affect the response of an underdamped circuit?

The initial conditions, such as the initial voltage and current, can affect the response of an underdamped circuit. These conditions will determine the starting point of the transient response and can impact the shape and amplitude of the curve. It is essential to consider the initial conditions when analyzing the behavior of an underdamped circuit.

5. What are some applications of underdamped circuits?

Underdamped circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in power systems to regulate voltage and current. Additionally, underdamped circuits are used in medical equipment, such as electrocardiograms, to measure and monitor electrical activity in the body.