Graphing Trig Function: Amplitude 4, Period (2\pi/3), Range [-4,4]

In summary, the conversation is about graphing the trigonometric function f(x)=4sin(3x-2) and finding the points over 2 periods and 9 points. The amplitude is 4, the period is 2π/3, and the range is [-4,4]. The function is shifted 2/3 units to the right compared to the parent function y=4sin(3x). The recommended domain to graph one period is [2/3, 2/3(π+1)], with 4 subdivisions to find the extrema and equilibria. This gives a total of 5 points, and continuing for another period would give a total of 9 points.
Dasysaaaa
I need some help graphing this trig function.

f(x)=4sin(3x-2)

When Graphing, the points should be over 2 periods and 9 points.

I have:
-Amplitude: 4
-Period=(2\pi/3)
-Range=[-4,4]

I need help on:
-Graphing the points over 2 periods and 9 periods (parent function and f(x))
-Table of 9 points (f(x) and parent function)
-Increments (f(x) and parent function)

Thank You in advance if You can help me!(Blush)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I agree with what you've done so far regarding the amplitude, period and range. Now, if I were going to sketch a graph of $f(x)$, I would write it in the form:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=4\sin\left(3\left(x-\frac{2}{3}\right)\right)\)

In this form, we can see that $f$ is shifted \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{3}\) units to the right compared to $y=4\sin(3x)$. Now, if I was going to graph $f$ over just one period, I would choose the domain:

\(\displaystyle \left[\frac{2}{3},\frac{2}{3}(\pi+1)\right]\)

On this domain, the sinusoid described by $f$ will begine at 0, movie to to 4, then back down to 0, continue down to -4, then move back to to 0, completing 1 cycle.

I would divide this domain into 4 subdivisions of equal width corresponding to the extrema and equilibria (that is, the zero, maximum and minimum values for $f$). This gives us the $x$-values:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{2}{3}+\frac{k}{4}\cdot\frac{2}{3}\pi=\frac{2}{3}+\frac{k}{6}\pi\) where $k\in\{0,1,2,3,4\}$

Putting all this together, this gives us the 5 points:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{2}{3},0\right),\,\left(\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{6}\pi,4\right),\,\left(\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{3}\pi,0\right),\,\left(\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{2}\pi,-4\right),\,\left(\frac{2}{3}+\frac{2}{3}\pi,0\right)\)

If you continue for another period, this would give you 4 more points for a total of nine...can you continue?

1. What does amplitude mean in trigonometry?

The amplitude in trigonometry refers to the height of a wave measured from its midline to its highest point or lowest point. In this case, the amplitude is 4, meaning the wave will reach a maximum height of 4 and a minimum height of -4.

2. How do you determine the period of a trigonometric function?

The period of a trigonometric function is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the function. In this case, the period is (2π/3), meaning that the function will complete one full cycle every (2π/3) units.

3. What does it mean when the range of a trigonometric function is [-4,4]?

The range of a trigonometric function refers to the set of all possible output values of the function. In this case, the range is [-4,4], meaning that the output of the function will never be less than -4 or greater than 4.

4. How do you graph a trigonometric function with given amplitude, period, and range?

To graph a trigonometric function with given amplitude, period, and range, you can start by plotting points on the graph using the given period and amplitude. Then, use the range to determine the vertical stretch or compression of the graph. Finally, connect the plotted points to create the graph.

5. Can the amplitude, period, and range of a trigonometric function be changed?

Yes, the amplitude, period, and range of a trigonometric function can be changed by adjusting the equation of the function. For example, changing the amplitude would involve multiplying the function by a constant, while changing the period would involve altering the coefficient of the function's variable. The range can also be changed by adding or subtracting a constant from the function.