Graphs analysis Microelectronics

In summary: This is because the Boron is acting as a dopant in the P-type material, while the Phosphorous is acting as a dopant in the N-type material.
gl0ck

Homework Statement

Hello,
I have to estimate the junction depth and layer thickness from the graph I am given.
I know that when Phosphorus and boron are crossing, at this point is the Junction depth. What about the oxide layer grown, how would you estimate its thickness?

For the second graph how we can decide which element has been used to dope the initial wafer?
IMG_20151115_121523.jpg
asd.jpg

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In both cases, do you understand what causes the step discontinuity on the left hand side of the graphs?

No actually, I would guess Abrupt pn junction or what happens when a N-type semiconductor is in contact with a P-type semiconductor?

What I got found is for the first plot shows, phosphorus concentration, and the donor boron concentration as a function of depth in an N-type wafer, subject to a p-type diffusion, and for the second one, the net dopant concentration |Na - Nd| as a function of depth for the n-type wafer that has been subjected to a p-type diffusion.
If that is correct as stated in the given, that phosphorus implant is made into a boron-doped wafer.
Would this mean that the initial wafer for the second plot is either boron or gallium? I tend to think is boron, as I can see it more often than the gallium. Am I correct?

What I can also add to the previous reply to the phyzguy's question is that when the both dopants cross to the left is Na>Nd (effectively p-type material) and to the right is Nd > Na (effectively n-type material)

gl0ck said:
No actually, I would guess Abrupt pn junction or what happens when a N-type semiconductor is in contact with a P-type semiconductor?
No. The step discontinuity at the dotted line on the left side of the plots is the Si/SiO2 interface. The region to the left of the dotted line is SiO2, and the region to the right is the Si. Notice in the first graph how the Boron is preferentially included in the SiO2, and the Phosphorous is preferentially excluded.

1. What is graph analysis in microelectronics?

Graph analysis in microelectronics is the process of studying and interpreting graphical representations of data in the field of microelectronics. This includes analyzing graphs of electrical signals, circuit diagrams, and other visual representations of electronic components and systems.

2. Why is graph analysis important in microelectronics?

Graph analysis is important in microelectronics because it allows scientists and engineers to visualize and understand complex data in a more intuitive manner. It also helps to identify patterns and trends that may not be apparent when looking at raw data, which can lead to insights and advancements in the field.

3. What are some common techniques used in graph analysis for microelectronics?

Some common techniques used in graph analysis for microelectronics include plotting data points on a scatter plot, creating line graphs to track changes over time, and using bar graphs to compare different variables or components. Other techniques may involve applying mathematical functions or algorithms to the data to reveal underlying patterns.

4. How can graph analysis be used to improve microelectronic devices?

Graph analysis can be used to improve microelectronic devices by identifying areas for optimization and improvement. By analyzing graphs of various electronic components and systems, researchers can identify weaknesses or inefficiencies that can be addressed through design modifications or new technologies.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to graph analysis in microelectronics?

One challenge with graph analysis in microelectronics is the sheer amount of data that needs to be analyzed. As electronic devices and systems become more complex, the data generated from them can be overwhelming and difficult to interpret. Additionally, graph analysis may not always reveal the underlying causes of certain patterns or trends, so further research and experimentation may be necessary.