Graphs of Functions Covering Unit Circle .... Hubbard & Hubbard, Example 3.1.5 .... ....

In summary, the conversation is about a book on vector calculus, linear algebra, and differential forms. The focus is on Section 3.1, which discusses manifolds. The question is about Example 3.1.3, where the Hubbards mention the need for four functions to cover the entire circle. The person asks why only two functions cannot be used, and the answer is that four patches are needed to cover the manifold properly.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading the book: "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential Forms" (Fourth Edition) by John H Hubbard and Barbara Burke Hubbard.

I am currently focused on Section 3.1: Manifolds ...

I need some help in order to understand Example 3.1.3 ... ...

Example 3.1.3 reads as follows:View attachment 8633In the above text from H&H we read the following:

"Here we need the graphs of four functions to cover the entire circle ... "My question is as follows:

Why can we not cover the unit circle with the following two functions:

\(\displaystyle y = \sqrt{ 1 - x^2 }\) where \(\displaystyle -1 \le x \le 1\)

and

\(\displaystyle y = - \sqrt{ 1 - x^2 }\) where \(\displaystyle -1 \lt x \lt 1\)

I must be misunderstanding something ...

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• H&H - Example 3.1.5 ... .png
    H&H - Example 3.1.5 ... .png
    12.3 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
In the context of the Hubbards' book, one wants to cover a manifold (the circle, in this example) with open patches. So each point of the manifold must lie in the interior of one of the patches. The easiest way to do that in this case is to use four patches.

Opalg said:
In the context of the Hubbards' book, one wants to cover a manifold (the circle, in this example) with open patches. So each point of the manifold must lie in the interior of one of the patches. The easiest way to do that in this case is to use four patches.
Thanks Opalg ...

That makes the issue clear ... grateful for that!

Peter

What is a unit circle?

A unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin (0,0) on a Cartesian coordinate system.

What is a graph of a function?

A graph of a function is a visual representation of the relationship between the inputs (x-values) and outputs (y-values) of a function. It is created by plotting points on a coordinate system and connecting them with a continuous curve.

What is Example 3.1.5 in Hubbard & Hubbard?

Example 3.1.5 in Hubbard & Hubbard is a specific example problem that demonstrates how to graph a function on the unit circle, using the equation given in Example 3.1.4. It is used to illustrate the concept and application of graphing functions on the unit circle.

Why is graphing functions on the unit circle important?

Graphing functions on the unit circle is important because it helps us visualize the relationship between the trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent) and the unit circle. It also allows us to easily identify the values of these functions at different points on the unit circle, which is useful in solving various mathematical problems.

What is the significance of Example 3.1.5 in understanding graphing functions on the unit circle?

Example 3.1.5 in Hubbard & Hubbard is significant because it provides a step-by-step guide on how to graph a function on the unit circle, which is a fundamental concept in trigonometry. It also demonstrates the application of this concept in solving real-world problems, further enhancing our understanding of graphing functions on the unit circle.