Bounded in Norm .... Garling, Section 11.2: Normed Spaces ....

In summary: I'm not sure that I understand the last line of the proof. Can you provide a more clear explanation?Thanks!In summary, the proof of the equivalence of bounded and bounded in norm states that if a subset is bounded and has a norm then it is bounded in norm.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
The thread concerns the link between Garling's definition of a bounded set and the condition of a set being norm bounded or bounded in norm ...
I am reading D. J. H. Garling's book: "A Course in Mathematical Analysis: Volume II: Metric and Topological Spaces, Functions of a Vector Variable" ... ...

I am focused on Chapter 11: Metric Spaces and Normed Spaces ... ...

I need some help with some remarks by Garling concerning a subset being norm bounded of bounded in norm ...

The particular remarks by Garling read as follows:
Garling - Bounded in Norm notes ... .png

Note that the definition of a bounded set by Garling is included in the following text:
Garling - BoundedSet ... notes ... .png

In the remarks by Garling above we read the following:

" ... ... Then since

##\mid \mid x - y \mid \mid \le \mid \mid x \mid \mid + \mid \mid y \mid \mid## and ##\mid \mid y \mid \mid \le \mid \mid y - x \mid \mid + \mid \mid x \mid \mid##

a subset ##B## is bounded if and only if ##\text{sup} \{ \mid \mid b \mid \mid \ : \ b \in B \} \lt \infty## ... ... ... "Can someone please explain/demonstrate how (given Garling;s definition of a bounded subset) that the statements:

##\mid \mid x - y \mid \mid \le \mid \mid x \mid \mid + \mid \mid y \mid \mid## and ##\mid \mid y \mid \mid \le \mid \mid y - x \mid \mid + \mid \mid x \mid \mid##

lead to the statement that:

a subset ##B## is bounded if and only if ##\text{sup} \{ \mid \mid b \mid \mid \ : \ b \in B \} \lt \infty## ... ... ... ?Hope someone can help ...

Peter
======================================================================================

It may help some readers of the above post to have access to the start of Garling's section on normed spaces in order to familiarize them with Garling's approach and notation ... so I am providing the same ... as follows:
Garling ... Start of Secton 11.2 on Normed Spaces ... .png
Hope that helps ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a normed vector space [itex]E[/itex] with norm [itex]\|\cdot\|[/itex]. How is the metric defined in terms of this norm?

What happens if you substitute that into the definition of "bounded"?

There are two implications to prove to show that "bounded" is equivalent to "bounded in norm":
  • [itex]\|b\|[/itex] bounded above implies [itex]d(b,b')[/itex] bounded above.
  • [itex]d(b,b')[/itex] bounded above implies [itex]\|b\|[/itex] bounded above.
The remark gives two inequalities. What can you do with them?

Hi pasmith ... thanks for your guidance and help ...

I received a proof (by Olinguito) on another website and the proof follows the lines suggested by you ...

Here is the suggested proof ...

##E## is both a metric space and a vector space; the metric and the norm are related by
##d(x,y)\ =\ \|x-y\|##
for ##x,y\in E##.

So if ##B\subset E## is nonempty – say it contains ##c## – and bounded, we have for all ##b\in B##,
##\|b\|\ \le\ \|b-c\|+\|c\|\ \le\ \text{diam}(B)+\|c\|##
##\displaystyle\implies\ \sup_{b\in B}\|b\|<\infty## (since ##\text{diam}(B)<\infty## and ##\|c\|## is a fixed number).

\Conversely, if ##\displaystyle s=\sup_{b\in B}\|b\|<\infty##, then for all ##b,b'\in B##,
##d(b,b')\ =\ \|b-b'\|\ \le\ \|b\|+\|b'\|\ \le\ 2s##
##\implies\ \text{diam}(B)<\infty##Peter

Likes fresh_42

1. What is a normed space?

A normed space is a mathematical concept that is used to describe a vector space that has a way to measure the size of its elements. This measurement is called a norm and it satisfies certain properties such as positivity, homogeneity, and the triangle inequality.

2. What is the difference between a normed space and a metric space?

A normed space is a specific type of vector space that has a norm defined on it, while a metric space is a more general concept that only requires a distance function to be defined. In other words, all normed spaces are metric spaces, but not all metric spaces are normed spaces.

3. What are some examples of normed spaces?

Some examples of normed spaces include Euclidean spaces, function spaces, and sequence spaces. Other examples include the space of continuous functions, the space of integrable functions, and the space of square-summable sequences.

4. How do you determine if a space is a normed space?

To determine if a space is a normed space, you need to check if it satisfies the properties of a norm. These properties include positivity, homogeneity, and the triangle inequality. If all of these properties are satisfied, then the space is a normed space.

5. What is the significance of boundedness in normed spaces?

In normed spaces, boundedness refers to the idea that the elements of the space have a finite size or magnitude. This concept is important because it allows us to define convergence and continuity in these spaces, which are essential in many mathematical and scientific applications.