Gravitation Potential Energy -- Questions about calculating the sign of GPE

Quantum Psi Inverted
Homework Statement
When does one use mgh0-mghf, and when does one use mghf-mg0? Is all gravitation potential energy necessarily negative?
Relevant Equations
E=(m/2)(vf^2-v0^2)+mg(hf-h0)
PE=mg(h0-hf)
I believe that this is due to context of application, but now, I'm starting to doubt myself. For example, a helicopter lifting itself has positive PE change. I really don't intuitively understand how this works. Can someone kindly explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Relative to the ground, GPE (gravitational potential energy) is always positive. A change in GPE can be positve or negative.

Likes MatinSAR
Quantum Psi Inverted said:
Homework Statement: When does one use mgh0-mghf, and when does one use mghf-mg0? Is all gravitation potential energy necessarily negative?
Those are two different questions.

Assuming the 0 and f are supposed to indicate initial and final heights, mghf-mg0 gives you the (signed) change in PE. mgh0-mghf gives you the loss in PE, obviously.

All "potentials" are in principle relative, i.e. it is up to you to choose where the zero potential is. However, a convention commonly used, both for GPE and electrostatic, is that the potential at infinity is zero. That makes all other GPEs negative.
At a greater height, the potential is less negative, so is greater than at a lower height.

Likes MatinSAR

1. How do I determine the sign of gravitational potential energy?

The sign of gravitational potential energy depends on the reference point chosen. If the reference point is set at the surface of the Earth, then an object above the surface will have positive gravitational potential energy, while an object below the surface will have negative gravitational potential energy.

2. Why is gravitational potential energy negative when an object is below the reference point?

Gravitational potential energy is negative when an object is below the reference point because work would need to be done to move the object back to the reference point against the force of gravity. The negative sign indicates that the object is in a stable equilibrium position.

3. Can gravitational potential energy ever be zero?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be zero. This occurs when the object is at the reference point, such as when an object is at the surface of the Earth. At this point, there is no potential energy associated with the object's position relative to the reference point.

4. How does the sign of gravitational potential energy affect calculations?

The sign of gravitational potential energy affects the direction of the force on an object. Objects with positive gravitational potential energy will tend to move away from the reference point, while objects with negative gravitational potential energy will tend to move towards the reference point.

5. Can gravitational potential energy be negative at all points?

Gravitational potential energy can be negative at points below the reference point. However, it is important to choose the reference point carefully to ensure that the sign of gravitational potential energy aligns with the intended direction of the force on the object.