Gravitational acceleration and sub-atomic electric charge

In summary, according to this user, gravity is not fundamentally arising from sub-atomic electric charge.
rwh2100
TL;DR Summary
Is gravity (fundamentally) a force arising from sub-atomic electric charge?
Wak a ball with a bat and the ball accelerates. Now under gravity, hold the ball out horizontally, let go and the ball accelerates ... without a wak. Given that gravity arises from curved space-time, I suggest further that the acceleration of the ball arises when sub-atomic particles (in the ball) react to the gravitational space-time gradient ... with the electric force between sub-atomic particles being dependent on particle separations ... and particle separations being affected by a space-time gradient. Hence, is gravity (fundamentally) a force arising from sub-atomic electric charge?

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
No.

You might notice that *everything* responds to gravity. Including, things with no intrinsic charge.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
rwh2100 said:
Summary: Is gravity (fundamentally) a force arising from sub-atomic electric charge?
No. Such a force cannot be always attractive, like gravity.

Likes topsquark and hutchphd
Can I vote "no" too?

Furthermore, if you want to posit an alternative theory of gravity, a) it needs to be quantitatively correct, and b) needs to be published before we can discuss it on PF.

Likes PeroK and topsquark
Dale said:
No. Such a force cannot be always attractive, like gravity.
not the absolute value ... just consider the space-time *gradient* across an object with mass ... gravity squeezes the bottom of a tennis ball more than the top of a tennis ball (given the Earth beneath) ... and the amount of squeeze is graded in between

• Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK and Dale
(Thread title prefix changed A-->B)

Vanadium 50 said:
Can I vote "no" too?

Furthermore, if you want to posit an alternative theory of gravity, a) it needs to be quantitatively correct, and b) needs to be published before we can discuss it on PF.
I invite discussion ... not votes.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
hmmm27 said:
No.

You might notice that *everything* responds to gravity.
... tell me more, thanks

rwh2100 said:
not the absolute value ... just consider the space-time *gradient* across an object with mass ... gravity squeezes the bottom of a tennis ball more than the top of a tennis ball (given the Earth beneath) ... and the amount of squeeze is graded in between
This is not acceptable. If you want to make a broad claim that gravity is “(fundamentally) a force arising from sub-atomic electric charge” then it must broadly reproduce all gravitational phenomena, not just some specially selected fractions of features.

Gravity is not fundamentally arising from charge. Such a claim cannot reproduce even ordinary gravitational observations, like planetary orbits. There is simply no way to massage the claim into something that fits even the most basic observations of gravity

Likes PhDeezNutz, PeroK and topsquark
Vanadium 50 said:
Can I vote "no" too?

I invite discussion ... not votes. I have posted to open a discussion ... hence a) and b) do not apply

rwh2100 said:
I invite discussion ... not votes. I have posted to open a discussion ... hence a) and b) do not apply
He is correct. b) always applies on PF. All posts on PF are required to be consistent with the professional scientific literature

Dale said:
This is not acceptable. If you want to make a broad claim that gravity is “(fundamentally) a force arising from sub-atomic electric charge” then it must broadly reproduce all gravitational phenomena, not just some specially selected fractions of features.

Gravity is not fundamentally arising from charge. Such a claim cannot reproduce even ordinary gravitational observations, like planetary orbits. There is simply no way to massage the claim into something that fits even the most basic observations of gravity
I have suggested that gravity is “(fundamentally) a force arising from sub-atomic electric charge” ... and invite your consideration of the physics presented

rwh2100 said:
I have suggested that gravity is “(fundamentally) a force arising from sub-atomic electric charge” ... and invite your consideration of the physics presented
It has been considered and rejected because it doesn’t work. It cannot even explain the solar system because gravity is always attractive.

As there is nothing else to say, this thread is closed.

Likes Vanadium 50, PeroK, topsquark and 1 other person

What is gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object due to the force of gravity. It is a measure of how quickly an object falls towards the Earth's surface and is typically denoted by the symbol "g". The standard value for gravitational acceleration is 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How is gravitational acceleration calculated?

Gravitational acceleration can be calculated using the equation g = G * M / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2), M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects. This equation is known as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

What is sub-atomic electric charge?

Sub-atomic electric charge refers to the fundamental unit of electric charge carried by particles such as protons and electrons. It is a property of matter that determines how it interacts with electric and magnetic fields. The unit of sub-atomic electric charge is the elementary charge, which is equal to 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs.

How is sub-atomic electric charge measured?

Sub-atomic electric charge can be measured using an instrument called an electrometer. This device measures the force between two charged objects and can determine the amount of charge on each object. Scientists have also been able to measure sub-atomic electric charge using particle accelerators and other advanced technologies.

What is the relationship between gravitational acceleration and sub-atomic electric charge?

There is no direct relationship between gravitational acceleration and sub-atomic electric charge. Gravitational acceleration is a property of mass, while sub-atomic electric charge is a property of particles. However, both play important roles in the behavior of matter and the forces that govern the universe.