Gravitational Acceleration inside a Planet

In summary, the problem asks for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity, g(R), inside a spherical planet of uniform density. Part A asks for an expression for g(R) in terms of \rho, R, \pi, and G. The solution to Part A is g(R) = (4/3)G\rho \pi R. Part B asks to rewrite this result in terms of g_p, the gravitational acceleration at the surface of the planet, and R_p, the planet's radius. The solution is g(R) = (g_p*R)/R_p. To obtain this, the formula for g(R) was substituted with the formula for g_p and the
Superfluous
The problem:

Consider a spherical planet of uniform density [tex]\rho[/tex]. The distance from the planet's center to its surface (i.e., the planet's radius) is [tex]R_{p}[/tex]. An object is located a distance [tex]R[/tex] from the center of the planet, where [tex]R\precR_{p}[/tex] . (The object is located inside of the planet.)

Part A

Find an expression for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity, [tex]g(R)[/tex] , inside the planet.

Express the acceleration due to gravity in terms of [tex]\rho[/tex], [tex]R[/tex], [tex]\pi[/tex], and [tex]G[/tex], the universal gravitational constant.

Part B

Rewrite your result for [tex]g(R)[/tex] in terms of [tex]g_{p}[/tex], the gravitational acceleration at the surface of the planet, times a function of R.

Express your answer in terms of [tex]g_{p}[/tex], [tex]R[/tex], and [tex]R_{p}[/tex].

My attempt at a solution:

I determined the answer to Part A to be [tex]g(R)=(4/3)G\rho \pi R[/tex]. However, I am uncertain how to find the answer to Part B. I barely even understand what they are asking me to do. I could really use some hints to point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
They want you to eliminate G, rho etc, and express the ans you got in terms of g at surface.

You do know that M = (4/3)pi*Rp^3*rho. Also, you should know g at surface using law of gravitation. Use all these to eliminate the unwanted stuff.

Ok, well I've tried to work this out, but I'm basically just guessing at everything--I'm that clueless. I don't even see how knowing M will help me. I don't know what to do.

Superfluous said:
Express your answer in terms of [tex]g_{p}[/tex], [tex]R[/tex], and [tex]R_{p}[/tex].

What the question is asking you to do is to find some function [itex]f[/itex] such that

[tex]g(R) = f(g_p,R_p,R)[/tex]

In other words, somehow replace the [itex]G[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] from the solution already at hand,

[tex]g(R) = \frac 4 3 G \pho \pi R[/tex]

with [itex]g_p[/itex] and [itex]R_p[/itex]. What is [itex]g_p[/itex]?

Superfluous said:
Ok, well I've tried to work this out, but I'm basically just guessing at everything--I'm that clueless. I don't even see how knowing M will help me. I don't know what to do.

Put Rp in place of R in the formula you derived in our first post. Remember, g(Rp) is the g_p at the surface. So, you can write g(R) in terms of g_p and R.

i'm doing the same question, got the first part right and i got to admit, i still don't get it, i know it has something to do with substiting the value of g_p but and that that can be obtained by using the universal law of gravitation, but after that i am stumped.

just worked it out, you got to subsitute formulae and you should end up with R*g_p/R_p

Related to Gravitational Acceleration inside a Planet

1. What is gravitational acceleration inside a planet?

Gravitational acceleration inside a planet is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object at a certain distance from the planet's center. It is usually denoted by the symbol 'g' and is expressed in units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is gravitational acceleration inside a planet calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational acceleration inside a planet is g = G * M / r², where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance from the center of the planet to the object. This formula is based on Newton's law of universal gravitation.

3. Does gravitational acceleration inside a planet vary at different locations within the planet?

Yes, gravitational acceleration inside a planet can vary at different locations within the planet. This is because the mass and distance from the center of the planet can vary at different points, resulting in different values of gravitational acceleration.

4. How does the gravitational acceleration inside a planet affect objects on its surface?

The gravitational acceleration inside a planet determines the weight of objects on its surface. The greater the gravitational acceleration, the greater the weight of an object will be. This is why objects on planets with higher gravitational acceleration, such as Earth, will weigh more than the same objects on planets with lower gravitational acceleration.

5. Can the gravitational acceleration inside a planet change over time?

Yes, the gravitational acceleration inside a planet can change over time. This can happen due to changes in the mass distribution or rotation of the planet. However, these changes are usually very small and do not significantly affect the overall gravitational acceleration inside the planet.