Gravitational Energy of Earth<Moon (what distance)

In summary: M##. Additionally, he suggests substituting ##r_M## for ##r_E## to get...Zz.... just to align @ZapperZ's diagram with what I had suggested: he uses ##r_E## where I used... ##r_M##. Additionally, he suggests substituting ##r_M## for ##r_E## to get...FE = Rm/(r_E+r_M)
Mikemorgan12

Homework Statement

Not give any information just the equation Fg= G m1m2/r^2
Supposed to find the distance at which the moons gravity has a greater force on a spacecraft than the Earth does.

Homework Equations

My prof told me to put G m1m2/r^2= G m1m2/r^2 and substitute one r in for another i.e. (r-r2)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I put the two equations equal to each other and got rid of what I could

mE/r^2= mM/(r-r2)2
I try to plug numbers in and get a quadratic but I keep getting a square root of a negative number or i just get the actual distance from the Earth to the moon 3.85x108 m
Help would be greatly appreciated have been working on this for a few days now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mikemorgan12 said:

Homework Statement

Not give any information just the equation Fg= G m1m2/r^2
Supposed to find the distance at which the moons gravity has a greater force on a spacecraft than the Earth does.

Homework Equations

My prof told me to put G m1m2/r^2= G m1m2/r^2 and substitute one r in for another i.e. (r-r2)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I put the two equations equal to each other and got rid of what I could

mE/r^2= mM/(r-r2)2
I try to plug numbers in and get a quadratic but I keep getting a square root of a negative number or i just get the actual distance from the Earth to the moon 3.85x108 m
Help would be greatly appreciated have been working on this for a few days now.

You need to decide what these different variable radii are. I would tend to use ##R## for the distance between the Earth and the Moon, as this is fixed, and then ##r## for the variable distance the spacecraft is from Earth.

With that, what does your equation become?

PeroK said:
You need to decide what these different variable radii are. I would tend to use ##R## for the distance between the Earth and the Moon, as this is fixed, and then ##r## for the variable distance the spacecraft is from Earth.

With that, what does your equation become?
Okay, so I would get something similar to what I had?
mE/ R2 = mM/ (R-r)2
Then plug in R and solve for r? I think my problem is more with the algebra involved but maybe I am plugging in the wrong numbers...

Mikemorgan12 said:
Okay, so I would get something similar to what I had?
mE/ R2 = mM/ (R-r)2
Then plug in R and solve for r? I think my problem is more with the algebra involved but maybe I am plugging in the wrong numbers...

What does ##m_E/R^2## represent? Remember ##R## is the fixed distance from the Earth to the Moon.

PeroK said:
What does ##m_E/R^2## represent? Remember ##R## is the fixed distance from the Earth to the Moon.
I guess it would represent Fg/ G mM. Am I going about this in the wrong way? I am having trouble understanding.

I obtained mE/R2 by cancelling things from each side of the equation

Mikemorgan12 said:
I guess it would represent Fg/ G mM. Am I going about this in the wrong way? I am having trouble understanding.

##m_E/R^2##

That represents the gravitational force of the Earth on something the same distance as the moon. So, that's the force on the spacecraft only when the spacecraft has reached the moon.

First of all, I am not sure if you even understood what and why you are doing this. You stated that you are doing what your professor told you, but do you even know why?

Secondly, in ANY physics problems at this level, you must show a sketch! Otherwise, we are dealing with all these symbols that you never defined and become rather vague.

So instead, *I* spent time in presenting a sketch that is relevant to this problem.

earth-moon.jpg

I can explain what each of the symbols mean, but I am guessing that the sketch should be very clear in what they are. In addition, I also drew the FBD on the mass "m" which is the object of interest. Those "F's" in the sketch represents the forces acting on it.

At some distance, the NET force acting on "m" will be zero. This means that if "m" gets any closer to the Moon, the force acting on "m" by the moon will be larger than the force acting on "m" by the earth. So this is the location that you want, where the net force is zero.

So solve for FE = FM

but with the added info that rE + rM = R.

Zz.

Attachments

• earth-moon.jpg
    earth-moon.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 933
Last edited:
Likes Mikemorgan12 and PeroK
... just to align @ZapperZ's diagram with what I had suggested: he uses ##r_E## where I used ##r##.

ZapperZ said:
First of all, I am not sure if you even understood what and why you are doing this. You stated that you are doing what your professor told you, but do you even know why?

Secondly, in ANY physics problems at this level, you must show a sketch! Otherwise, we are dealing with all these symbols that you never defined and become rather vague.

So instead, *I* spent time in presenting a sketch that is relevant to this problem.

View attachment 233042
I can explain what each of the symbols mean, but I am guessing that the sketch should be very clear in what they are. In addition, I also drew the FBD on the mass "m" which is the object of interest. Those "F's" in the sketch represents the forces acting on it.

At some distance, the NET force acting on "m" will be zero. This means that if "m" gets any closer to the Moon, the force acting on "m" by the moon will be larger than the force acting on "m" by the earth. So this is the location that you want, where the net force is zero.

So solve for FE = FM

but with the added info that rE + rM = R.

Zz.
Thanks and this is a question on an assignment I am doing.

Mikemorgan12 said:

This doesn't tell me anything.

Almost every question posted in the HW forum is "... a question on an assignment...". You have not stated whether you actually understood how to set up the the solution and if you actually found what you want.

Zz.

Mikemorgan12 said:

First, you should look carefully at @ZapperZ 's diagram. Do you understand it? Second, you should have had a diagram like that. Third, you need to relate the equations (in particular ##F = \frac{GMm}{r^2}##) to the diagram. That's the point at which you move from the physical set up of the problem to the (in this case algebraic) solution.

The good thing about the diagram and the algebra is that it generalises the problem. It could be the Earth and the Moon; or the Earth and the Sun; or the Sun and Jupiter, for example.

The final step is, of course, to plug in the values for the Earth-Moon problem to get a specific answer.

1. What is gravitational energy?

Gravitational energy is the potential energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move the object from its current position to a reference position, typically at infinity away from the gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational energy related to Earth and the Moon?

The Earth and the Moon have a gravitational attraction towards each other and this results in a gravitational potential energy between them. This energy is dependent on the distance between the two objects.

3. What is the distance between Earth and the Moon?

The average distance between Earth and the Moon is approximately 384,400 kilometers or 238,855 miles. This distance is constantly changing due to the Moon's elliptical orbit around the Earth.

4. How does the distance between Earth and the Moon affect their gravitational energy?

The gravitational energy between Earth and the Moon is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the gravitational energy decreases and vice versa.

5. Can the gravitational energy between Earth and the Moon be measured?

Yes, the gravitational energy between Earth and the Moon can be calculated using the formula Gm1m2/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of Earth and the Moon respectively, and r is the distance between them. This value can also be measured experimentally using specialized equipment.