Gravitational equipotential multiple choice problem

In summary, the person does not understand how to answer the question, as they do not know the direction of the field lines.
Grizzly_1
Homework Statement
The diagram shows gravitational equipotential. Adjacent equipotential are separated by an equal gravitational potential difference V.

Which point has the greatest gravitational field strength?
Relevant Equations
E=-GM/(r^2)
Sillyquestion.jpg
Hello everyone, thank you for taking your time to read this. I was assigned a homework task of multiple choice questions to do with gravitational fields. This is one of the last questions and I have been pondering over it for some time now. I don't understand how any sort of answer is achievable.

To the best of my knowledge, gravitational field strength is directly proportional to the mass of the object that is causing the field, and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the mass causing the field and the point at which you are determining field strength. In this case, as we do not know the location of the mass we cannot determine the direction of the field lines, and by extension we cannot tell if the potential differences are decreasing from D to A, or A to D.

If you knew which way the potential gradient was increasing, I think you could work out which point had the greatest gravitational field strength as it is the point at which potential is the least (most negative), as this implies it is closest to the mass or masses that are causing the field.

As you do not know this, I do not know how you could answer such a question, they are just arbitrarily placed about the square and I do not know the relevance of equipotentials, as these are just indications about lines that have an equal potential difference along its length, this doesn't tell us anything relevant to finding at which point the gravitational field is greatest.

So this is my reasoning so far, I am truly stumped. I hope someone can help out in solving this tricky question (or perhaps not tricky and I am just being silly).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
On a topographical map of terrain on the Earth, how can you tell the steepest parts from those that are flatter? :wink:

Does this help?
Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 12.52.00 PM.png

kuruman said:
Does this help?
View attachment 325485
berkeman said:
On a topographical map of terrain on the Earth, how can you tell the steepest parts from those that are flatter? :wink:
Hello, thank you for responding. I understand both of your comments (I think), you are saying that, in the area were the equipotential lines are closest together, there must be a greater potential difference gradient, and therefore a greater field strength. I now understand, you have both helped me greatly. Thank you again!

Likes berkeman and kuruman
Grizzly_1 said:
Hello, thank you for responding. I understand both of your comments (I think), you are saying that, in the area were the equipotential lines are closest together, there must be a greater potential difference gradient, and therefore a greater field strength. I now understand, you have both helped me greatly. Thank you again!
You got it!

What is a gravitational equipotential multiple choice problem?

A gravitational equipotential multiple choice problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the potential energy of an object in a gravitational field. It typically presents a scenario where an object is moving between different points in a gravitational field and asks the student to determine the change in potential energy or the work done by gravity.

What is an equipotential surface in a gravitational field?

An equipotential surface is a hypothetical surface in a gravitational field where the potential energy of an object at any point on the surface is the same. This means that the object would experience no work done by gravity if it moved along this surface.

How is potential energy related to gravitational potential?

Potential energy and gravitational potential are directly related. The potential energy of an object in a gravitational field is equal to its mass multiplied by the gravitational potential at that point. This means that the higher the gravitational potential, the more potential energy an object has at that point.

What is the difference between gravitational potential and gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential is a measure of the potential energy an object has in a gravitational field, while gravitational potential energy is the actual amount of energy an object has due to its position in the gravitational field. Gravitational potential is a scalar quantity, while gravitational potential energy is a vector quantity.

How are multiple choice problems involving gravitational equipotential surfaces solved?

To solve a multiple choice problem involving gravitational equipotential surfaces, you will need to use the equation for gravitational potential energy and consider the change in potential energy as the object moves between different points in the gravitational field. You may also need to use the concept of work done by gravity and the principle of conservation of energy to determine the correct answer.