Gravitational Field Existence in Void: Philosophical Inquiry

In summary: I'm trying to understand if gravity will eventually become zero. I don't mean practically, but in pure fundamentals.In pure fundamentals, if the universe continues to expand and matter becomes more and more spread out, the gravitational field will become weaker, but it will never completely disappear.Should it still be assumed that, however weak, there is still some type of interactions taking place?Yes, even in the case of very weak gravitational fields, there will still be some interactions between particles due to the curvature of spacetime.It did occur to me that maybe gravitons have some quantum limit where they just don't really keep passing between the particles any more.There is currently no evidence for a quantum limit on gravitons. In fact,
Herbascious J
TL;DR Summary
If a gravitational field is sufficiently weak can it still be considered to exist, or is there a point where physically it has disappeared?
This is of a more philosophical inquiry. If two particles are in a void and moving apart, if they are sufficiently far apart, like say the distance between two galaxy cluster walls, does the gravitational field between them still fundamentally exist? I'm trying to understand if gravity will eventually become zero. I don't mean practically, but in pure fundamentals. Should it still be assumed that, however weak, there is still some type of interactions taking place? It did occur to me that maybe gravitons have some quantum limit where they just don't really keep passing between the particles any more.

Physics news on Phys.org
Herbascious J said:
This is of a more philosophical inquiry.
This is a physics forum, not a philosophy forum.

Herbascious J said:
If two particles are in a void and moving apart, if they are sufficiently far apart, like say the distance between two galaxy cluster walls, does the gravitational field between them still fundamentally exist?
Since we are in the relativity forum, the term "gravitational field" is the wrong term to use; gravity is not a force field in GR the way it is in Newtonian mechanics.

The best answer in the context of relativity is that, as long as there is some matter or energy anywhere in the universe, there will be some spacetime curvature everywhere.

Likes Dale and Herbascious J

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region of space in which an object with mass experiences a force due to the presence of another object with mass. This force is known as gravity and it is responsible for the attraction between objects.

2. Does a gravitational field exist in void?

The concept of a void, or empty space, is a philosophical one. In physics, there is no such thing as a true void. Even in the vast expanses of outer space, there are still particles and energy present. Therefore, a gravitational field can exist in what may appear to be a void.

3. How is the existence of a gravitational field in void relevant to philosophy?

The idea of a gravitational field in void raises questions about the nature of reality and our understanding of the universe. It challenges traditional philosophical concepts of emptiness and nothingness, and forces us to reconsider our understanding of space and the laws of physics.

4. Is the existence of a gravitational field in void a proven fact?

The existence of a gravitational field in void is a well-established scientific concept based on the theory of general relativity. However, the philosophical implications of this concept are still a subject of debate and are not considered a proven fact.

5. Can a gravitational field in void be observed or measured?

Gravitational fields can be observed and measured indirectly through their effects on objects with mass. For example, the orbit of a planet around a star is evidence of the gravitational field created by the star. However, the field itself cannot be directly observed or measured.