Gravitational mapping of the GROCE satellite project -- Strange Coincidences

• Thread starter dom_quixote
  • Start date
In summary, the GROCE satellite projects to the left - at sea level - a rough outline formed by the Nordic countries, Finland and part of Russia. The red area is the mid-Atlantic ridge, where the ocean is spreading.
dom_quixote
The gravitational mapping of the GROCE satellite projects to the left - at sea level - a rough outline formed by the Nordic countries, Finland and part of Russia.

010125230707-buraco-gravitacional-terra-2.jpg

The same goes for Australia.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
dom_quixote said:
... projects to the left - at sea level - a rough outline formed by the Nordic countries, Finland and part of Russia.
How far to the left?
Scandinavia and the Baltic are still rising after the melting of the icesheet from the last glaciation.
The red area is the mid-Atlantic ridge, where the ocean is spreading.

Do you have a link to the maps?

Likes dom_quixote
It is your eye and your brain that naturally look for patterns, and will always find some. Unfortunately, there is no direct relationship between the areas you circle. The underlying structure causes the variation in gravity. That structure is connected to plate tectonics and continental drift. It would not surprise me if you go on to study geophysics.

There is a map here that shows the age of the Earth's crust. As you can see, the areas you circle are not actually related or connected. They do not map onto each other, they just look to you like they might. They may have been adjacent at one time, like puzzle pieces.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seafloor_spreading

The coasts of Africa and South America are matched in shape because the Atlantic Ocean has widened. That is shown by the ages of the crust.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-ocean_ridge#Morphology

The Earth has stretch marks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-o...en-Tharp_World_ocean_floor_map_by_Berann).jpg

When I was eight, I told my teacher that Africa and America used to be joined together. She told me not to be silly, they are too big to move. Three years later, the Atlantic seafloor spreading was discovered by recognising the symmetrical magnetic patterns either side of the mid-ocean ridge. Ten years after that, I was studying tectonics at university.

Keep looking for patterns, but look for the underlying relationships that will show how they might be related or connected.

Likes BillTre, berkeman and dom_quixote
Baluncore said:
It is your eye and your brain that naturally look for patterns, and will always find some. Unfortunately, there is no direct relationship between the areas you circle. The underlying structure causes the variation in gravity. That structure is connected to plate tectonics and continental drift. It would not surprise me if you go on to study geophysics.

There is a map here that shows the age of the Earth's crust. As you can see, the areas you circle are not actually related or connected. They do not map onto each other, they just look to you like they might. They may have been adjacent at one time, like puzzle pieces.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seafloor_spreading

The coasts of Africa and South America are matched in shape because the Atlantic Ocean has widened. That is shown by the ages of the crust.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-ocean_ridge#Morphology

The Earth has stretch marks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-o...en-Tharp_World_ocean_floor_map_by_Berann).jpg

When I was eight, I told my teacher that Africa and America used to be joined together. She told me not to be silly, they are too big to move. Three years later, the Atlantic seafloor spreading was discovered by recognising the symmetrical magnetic patterns either side of the mid-ocean ridge. Ten years after that, I was studying tectonics at university.

Keep looking for patterns, but look for the underlying relationships that will show how they might be related or connected.
Fascinating!
Thanks for the lesson and the links.

Likes berkeman

What is the GROCE satellite project?

The GROCE (Gravity Research and Climate Experiment) satellite project is an initiative designed to map the Earth's gravitational field with unprecedented accuracy. This project aims to improve our understanding of Earth's water reserves, ice sheets, and ocean currents by analyzing minor variations in gravity.

How does gravitational mapping work in the context of the GROCE project?

Gravitational mapping in the GROCE project involves measuring the very slight variations in Earth's gravity field from space. The satellite uses sensitive instruments to detect tiny changes in gravitational pull caused by mass variations on Earth's surface, such as mountains, valleys, or changes in ice mass and ocean currents.

What are the "Strange Coincidences" mentioned in the GROCE satellite project?

The "Strange Coincidences" refer to unexpected findings or anomalies in the gravitational data that do not initially match current geological or climatological models. These could include unexplained gravitational variations that might suggest undiscovered geological structures or discrepancies in water mass distribution not accounted for by existing data.

How does the GROCE project contribute to climate change research?

The GROCE project contributes significantly to climate change research by providing detailed data on how water is distributed and relocated across the planet. This information is crucial for understanding sea-level rise, changes in ice mass, and overall climate dynamics, helping scientists predict future changes more accurately.

What technological advancements have been made in the GROCE satellite project?

The GROCE satellite project has incorporated advanced technologies, including highly sensitive accelerometers, state-of-the-art microwave ranging systems, and sophisticated data processing algorithms. These advancements allow for more precise measurements of gravitational changes, enhancing the accuracy of the gravitational maps produced.