Gravitational Plot: Accuracy Checked

In summary, the conversation was about the correct equations to use for plotting gravity and motion. The participants discussed the differences between equations for constant acceleration and variable acceleration, as well as the use of different equations for planetary motion. It was mentioned that the problem becomes more complicated when dealing with larger scales, and that the equations should be numerically integrated for more accurate results.
Invutil
Is this the correct plot of gravity and motion?

x(t) = x0 + v0 t + 1/2 a t^2

F = G m1 m2 / r^2

x(t) = x0 + v0 t + t^2 / (x2 - x(t))^2

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 4.27.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 4.27.18 PM.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 384
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 5.11.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 5.11.56 PM.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
No. The first equation assumes that the acceleration is a constant. The second equation does not give a constant acceleration, so you cannot use the acceleration from the second in the first equation I don't know where you got equ 3 from. Perhaps if you stated the problem?

Can you explain what you're trying to do? I don't understand the third equation, nor the graphs.

I'm just plotting gravity free-fall.

r = (x2 - x) for x2 > x where x2 is the coordinate of mass 2

Is this correct?

x(t) = x0 + int from {0} to {t} ( v0 t + 1/2 a0 t^2 + int from {0} to {t} ( 1/2 t^2 da/dt ) dt ) dt

a0 = F/m1
a0 = G m2 / r0^2
r0 = (x2 - x0)

x(t) = x0 + int from {0} to {t} ( v0 t + 1/2 G m2 t^2 / (x2-x0)^2 + int from {0} to {t} ( d( 1/2 t^2 G m2 / (x2 - x(t))^2 )/dt ) dt ) dt

I can't get this to plot, but should there be anything special at negative radius values?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 12.40.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 12.40.43 PM.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 396
You seem to be mixing up two different gravitational equations: one for a constant force (valid, for example, near the surface of the Earth); and one for a variable force (valid, for example, for planetary motion).

The first of these is mathematically simple; the second is mathematically much more complicated.

I guess I'm dealing with planetary scales so radius comes into effect. Is there a formula I can use? Is there anything special that happens at negative radius, like, a Kerr black hole, using a Newtonian equation? Would the constant-acceleration formula generally be correct, as it is a Taylor expansion? If so, how do you interpret the trajectory after r < 0?

Invutil said:
I guess I'm dealing with planetary scales so radius comes into effect. Is there a formula I can use? Is there anything special that happens at negative radius, like, a Kerr black hole, using a Newtonian equation? Would the constant-acceleration formula generally be correct, as it is a Taylor expansion? If so, how do you interpret the trajectory after r < 0?

It depends how much maths you know. The planetary motion equation leads to a second-order differential equation, from which Kepler's laws can be deduced. For free fall, say of an asteroid towards the Earth, the equation can be solved with some difficulty.

I think you are trying to over-simplify the problem. Your equations are still valid only for constant acceleration. Planetary motion, including that of asteroids, is described using universal gravitation for the force, and the acceleration is not constant. If you want to use the constant acceleration formula, than you have to numerically integrate the equations of motion, using short intervals of time, during which you assume that the acceleration is constant. That becomes a job to be done by a computer, and not a simple formula into which you can substitute numbers.

Related to Gravitational Plot: Accuracy Checked

1. What is a Gravitational Plot?

A Gravitational Plot is a visual representation of the gravitational forces between two or more objects. It is typically a graph that plots the distance between the objects on the x-axis and the strength of the gravitational force on the y-axis.

2. How is the accuracy of a Gravitational Plot checked?

The accuracy of a Gravitational Plot is checked by comparing it to theoretical calculations or experimental measurements. This can be done by calculating the force of gravity using the Universal Law of Gravitation or by conducting experiments with objects of known mass and distance.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of a Gravitational Plot?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of a Gravitational Plot, including errors in measurement of distance and mass, the presence of external forces, and the shape and composition of the objects involved. It is important to carefully control and account for these factors when creating a Gravitational Plot.

4. Why is it important to check the accuracy of a Gravitational Plot?

Checking the accuracy of a Gravitational Plot is important because it allows us to validate the laws and theories of gravity and understand the behavior of objects in space. It also helps us to identify any discrepancies or errors in our measurements and improve our understanding of the forces at work in the universe.

5. How can a Gravitational Plot be used in scientific research?

A Gravitational Plot can be used in scientific research to study the behavior of objects in space and to test the accuracy of theories and laws of gravity. It can also be used to make predictions about the movement and interactions of celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. Additionally, Gravitational Plots can be used to analyze and understand the effects of gravity on systems on Earth, such as tides and orbits.