Gravitational Potential Energy - Further=Smaller?

In summary, gravitational potential energy is the energy that a system of two masses has due to their separation. It is calculated using the formula Ep = -GMm/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M and m are the masses, and r is the distance between their centers. As the masses separate, the GPE increases and reaches a maximum value of 0 at infinite separation. This means that the system has lost all of its potential energy and converted it into kinetic energy. However, the formula for GPE does not take into account the changing force between the masses as they move closer together, so it is not entirely accurate in real-life scenarios.
wavingerwin
I recently looked at wikipedia for gravitational potential energy

For two masses; M and m, and distance; r between their centres,
gravitational energy; Ep is:

Ep=GMMr-1

With this, the further away the masses, the smaller the potential energy the system has

But this does not make sense to me because the further away the masses are,
the more kinetic energy they will collide with (after accelerated for some time due
to gravitational force between the masses).

Other than gravitational potential energy, no other energy can be converted to this
kinetic energy. Hence, the fact that GPE is small for further masses contadicts with
the large KE they will collide with.

Can somebody explain?

more:
The model Ep=GMMr-1 seems not right to me
because if it is derived from:
W=Fd
W=GMMr-2r
W=GMMr-1
Ep=GMMr-1
therefore the gravitational force throughout the acceleration of the two masses
will be constant, whereas in real life it will not be, because the force will
be bigger and bigger as the masses come nearer and nearer.

Please help. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
v_bachtiar said:
I recently looked at wikipedia for gravitational potential energy

For two masses; M and m, and distance; r between their centres,
gravitational energy; Ep is:

Ep=GMMr-1
You left out an all-important minus sign:
GPE = -GMm/r.

GPE increases as they separate to a maximum value of 0 at infinity.

You left out an all-important minus sign:
GPE = -GMm/r.

GPE increases as they separate to a maximum value of 0 at infinity.

Ah, i see :shy:

So, if there are two masses, 5E+6 kg and 10E+5 kg, separated at 50 m at their centres
hence: GPE of the system is -6.67 Joules

does this mean to move from r=infinity to r=50m it has lost 6.67Joules of potential energy
converted to EK?

That is correct (I didn't do the calculation to check though, so I'm assuming you got the value right).

Related to Gravitational Potential Energy - Further=Smaller?

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential for an object to do work as a result of its position in relation to a massive object, such as the Earth.

How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the ground. This formula assumes that the object is near the surface of the Earth and that the gravitational field is constant.

Is gravitational potential energy the same as gravitational potential?

No, gravitational potential energy and gravitational potential are two different concepts. Gravitational potential energy refers to the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field, while gravitational potential is a measure of the potential for an object to experience a gravitational force at a specific point in space.

How does further distance affect gravitational potential energy?

As an object is moved further away from a massive object, its gravitational potential energy decreases. This is because the distance between the two objects increases, resulting in a weaker gravitational force and less potential for work to be done.

Why does smaller distance result in greater gravitational potential energy?

As an object is moved closer to a massive object, its gravitational potential energy increases. This is because the distance between the two objects decreases, resulting in a stronger gravitational force and greater potential for work to be done.