Rigid body motion - thin disc

The energy equation step is derived from the conservation of energy principle, where the initial energy (gravitational potential energy of the chain) is equal to the final energy (kinetic energy of the disc and chain). The author used the equation for rotational kinetic energy and translational kinetic energy to express the final energy.
Celso
Why is the gravitational potential energy of the chain's center of mass equal to the total kinetic energy of the disc after it was fully wrapped? My first thought was to write ##E_{0}=(M/2+M)g∗2πR=E_{f}= Ep## (from the chain) ##+Ec## (from the disc). Instead he wrote ## mg \frac{l}{2} ## = ## \frac{1}{2} I \omega² + \frac{1}{2} M v² ##

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-09-24 16-39-56.png
    Screenshot from 2019-09-24 16-39-56.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 234
Physics news on Phys.org
Celso said:
Summary: This is an example from the book (Analytical mechanics, Fowles), I don't get the energy equation step

##E_{rot} = 1/2 I \omega² ##
## E_{translational} = 1/2 mv²##
## E_{potential} = mgh##

Why is the gravitational potential energy of the chain's center of mass equal to the total kinetic energy of the disc after it was fully wrapped? My first thought was to write ##E_{0}=(M/2+M)g∗2πR=E_{f}= Ep## (from the chain) ##+Ec## (from the disc). Instead he wrote ## mg \frac{l}{2} ## = ## \frac{1}{2} I \omega² + \frac{1}{2} M v² ##
The decrease in the chain's gravitational potential energy is equal to the (rotational) kinetic energy of the disc PLUS the (translational) kinetic energy of the chain. So, as the author wrote,:

[tex]mg \frac{l}{2} = \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2} m v^2[/tex] [Note: m not M in the last term]

AM

1. What is rigid body motion?

Rigid body motion is the movement of an object as a whole, where all points of the object move in the same direction and at the same speed. This means that the shape and size of the object do not change during the motion.

2. What is a thin disc?

A thin disc is a flat, circular object with a small thickness compared to its diameter. It can be thought of as a two-dimensional object with negligible thickness.

3. What are the types of rigid body motion for a thin disc?

The two types of rigid body motion for a thin disc are translation and rotation. Translation is when the disc moves in a straight line without any rotation, while rotation is when the disc spins around a fixed axis.

4. What is the moment of inertia for a thin disc?

The moment of inertia for a thin disc is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is given by the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the disc and r is the radius.

5. How is angular momentum conserved in rigid body motion of a thin disc?

Angular momentum is conserved in rigid body motion of a thin disc because the total angular momentum of the disc remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on it. This means that the product of the moment of inertia and angular velocity must remain constant throughout the motion.