Gravitational potential energy of a coupled pendulum

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem of the total energy of two pendulums connected by a string. For a kinetic energy, they would get (1/2) J(w_1)ˆ2 + (1/2) J(w_2)ˆ2. However, for a potential energy of a spring, they get (1/2) k (ϕ_1-ϕ_1) which is equivalent to mgl (1-cosϕ_1). Finally, they get stuck on how to calculate the gravitational potential energy of the two pendulums. They come up with an approximation using l * (phi) = l’ and solve for energy.
bolzano95
Homework Statement
I'm trying to solve problem a problem of complete energy of doubled pendulum (2 mathematical pendulums connected by a string).

For a kinetic energy I would get (1/2) J(w_1)ˆ2 + (1/2) J(w_2)ˆ2 and for a potential energy of a spring (1/2) k (ϕ_1-ϕ_1)
What about gravitational potential energy of pendulum 1 and pendulum 2? I get really stuck here. How can I write it?

The attempt at a solution
For a kinetic energy I would get (1/2) J(w_1)ˆ2 + (1/2) J(w_2)ˆ2
and for a potential energy of a spring (1/2) k (ϕ_1-ϕ_1)

What about gravitational potential energy of pendulum 1 and pendulum 2? I get really stuck here. How can I write it?
I have only an idea for 1pendulum and that is mgl (1-cosϕ_1). But if I have two of them... Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Bolzano, :welcome: (or: benvenuto ?)

bolzano95 said:
I have only an idea for 1pendulum and that is mgl (1-cosϕ_1)
Is good. Two of those and you're in business. ( i.e. ## mgl(1-\cos\phi_2)\ \ ## ).

Note: re-think your spring energy. The way you write it, it is zero and on top of that it has the wrong dimension.

Spring energy: made keyboard mistake, should be (1/2) k (ϕ_1-ϕ_2).
I saw in some textbooks it is written like (1/2) k (x_1-x_2), but if I do it as well, then the only thing (where angles are) I have to do is change the dimension of a spring constant?
Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Can't be. What is the dimension of k and what is the dimension of energy ?

Solved it! You have to take approximation l * (phi) = l’ so we get an energy for potential of a spring 1/2 * k * (phi1-phi2) *(l’)^2. And that’s it!

Likes BvU
Not sure what l' is, but the idea ##l'\sin\phi \approx l'\phi ## sounds about right. Where is the spring sitting ? at the bottom ?

Yes, at the bottom. BvU, thanks for you help! Really appreciate it :)

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy an object possesses by virtue of its height above the ground.

How is gravitational potential energy related to a coupled pendulum?

In a coupled pendulum, the gravitational potential energy is the energy stored in the pendulum bob due to its position above the ground. As the pendulum swings, the gravitational potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and back again.

What factors affect the gravitational potential energy of a coupled pendulum?

The gravitational potential energy of a coupled pendulum is affected by the mass of the pendulum bob, the height of the pendulum above the ground, and the strength of the gravitational field.

How is the gravitational potential energy of a coupled pendulum calculated?

The gravitational potential energy of a coupled pendulum can be calculated using the equation E = mgh, where E is the gravitational potential energy, m is the mass of the pendulum bob, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pendulum above the ground.

How does the gravitational potential energy of a coupled pendulum change as the pendulum swings?

As the pendulum swings, its gravitational potential energy will change depending on its position. At the highest point of the swing, the gravitational potential energy will be at its maximum, while at the lowest point, it will be at its minimum.