Gravitational Potential Energy & the Equivalence Principle

In summary: Other references are listed in the section notes. In summary, the equivalence principle states that by choosing appropriate coordinates, the gravitational field can be made to vanish in a localized patch of spacetime. This means that any energy stored in the gravitational field cannot be localized, as it would contradict this principle. There have been previous attempts to address this concept, with Landau & Lifschitz's pseudotensor being the most commonly referenced. Additional references can be found in the section notes.
exmarine
TL;DR Summary
2 questions about the MTW textbook section on why the energy of the gravitational field cannot be localized
First, in section 20.4, after listing all the things gravitational potential energy does not do, they say the equivalence principle forbids it being localized. I thought I understood the equivalence principle, but maybe I don’t. Any comments explaining that would be appreciated.

Second, they allude to previous attempts to “answer this question”. Who, what, where, and any links to reference material would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
exmarine said:
Second, they allude to previous attempts to “answer this question”. Who, what, where, and any links to reference material would be appreciated.
Hello. I have once read a Einstein's paper saying two body system e.g. the sun and the Earth has mass or energy/c^2 of
[tex]M+m-\frac{GMm}{c^2r}[/tex]
for kinetic property and for gravitational effect to the third body far from them in the frame of reference where space time is almost flat in great distance from the bodies. The third term is gravitational energy which reduces total mass but we can not say how it is distributed in an absolute way. I should appreciate someone may tell where in the web the paper is.

exmarine said:
they say the equivalence principle forbids it being localized. I thought I understood the equivalence principle, but maybe I don’t. Any comments explaining that would be appreciated.

One way of stating the equivalence principle is that, by an appropriate choice of coordinates, you can always make "the gravitational field" vanish in a small, localized patch of spacetime. Making "the gravitational field" vanish means making any localized "energy stored in the gravitational field" vanish as well--but if "energy stored in the gravitational field" were something localizable, it would be impossible to make it vanish by any choice of coordinates. All other kinds of energy are contained in the stress-energy tensor, and you can't make the stress-energy tensor vanish just by choosing coordinates. So there can't be any localized "energy stored in the gravitational field", because if there were, it would have to be contained in something like the stress-energy tensor, which could not be made to vanish just by choosing coordinates.

Likes cianfa72, exmarine, vanhees71 and 1 other person
exmarine said:
they allude to previous attempts to “answer this question”

They are alluding to the various pseudotensors described in the previous section. A reference to Landau & Lifschitz is given there; the pseudotensor they defined is the one most commonly encountered in discussions of this topic.

Likes exmarine and vanhees71

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential for an object to do work as a result of its position relative to other objects in the gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The gravitational potential energy of an object is calculated using the formula U = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the reference point.

3. What is the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the effects of gravity on an object are equivalent to the effects of acceleration. This means that an object in a gravitational field will experience the same physical effects as an object in an accelerating frame of reference.

4. How does the Equivalence Principle relate to gravitational potential energy?

The Equivalence Principle is closely related to gravitational potential energy because it explains why objects in a gravitational field have potential energy. The force of gravity is equivalent to an accelerating force, which means that objects in a gravitational field have the potential to do work as they move from a higher potential energy to a lower potential energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy has many practical applications, such as in hydropower plants where the potential energy of water is converted into electrical energy. It is also used in roller coasters, where the potential energy of the cars at the top of a hill is converted into kinetic energy as they move downhill. Additionally, gravitational potential energy plays a crucial role in the orbits of planets and satellites in space.