Gravitational Wave Discovery & Einsteinian Gravity: What's the Connection?

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between the recent LIGO gravitational waves discovery and Einstein's gravitational model. It is mentioned that gravitons, hypothetical particles that appear in some theories of gravity, are not a part of general relativity. The conversation also touches on the fact that gravitational waves are not required by general relativity, but rather a solution that can be found under certain conditions in the Einstein Field Equations. The conversation concludes with a request for more information on these conditions and solutions, and a recommendation to read the Wikipedia article on gravitational waves.
JerryF
Hi Everyone, my first post here.

I'm really confused by the comments around the recent LIGO gravitational waves discovery and how it connects to Einsteins gravitational model. My understanding is that he said a body warped spacetime around it forming a gravitational well into which other bodies would 'fall into'. This relies entirely on the topography of spacetime with no force carrying particles or waves needed for this model.

Can anyone explain please?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitons are hypothetical particles that appear in some unconfirmed quantum mechanical theories of gravity. They are no part of general relativity (Einstein's theory of gravity) so they are neither required nor precluded by it.

Gravitational waves aren't required by general relativity either - it's the other way around. You write down the equations of general relativity (the Einstein Field Equations), you solve them, and under certain conditions one of the solutions is gravitational waves.

Likes JerryF
Thanks Nugatory. Having no higher maths at all I won't be solving any of those equations soon. Could you point me to anywhere where I could read an abstract of the conditions and/or solutions you mention?

Thanks. :smile:

Thanks very much Drakkith.

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime that are produced by the acceleration of massive objects. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity and were later detected by scientists in 2015.

2. How were gravitational waves discovered?

Gravitational waves were discovered using a device called the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO). This device measures tiny changes in the distance between two points caused by passing gravitational waves.

3. What is the connection between gravitational wave discovery and Einsteinian gravity?

Einstein's theory of general relativity predicted the existence of gravitational waves and provided the mathematical framework for understanding their properties. The discovery of gravitational waves provided further evidence for the validity of Einstein's theory and opened up new avenues for studying gravity.

4. What can we learn from studying gravitational waves?

Studying gravitational waves can provide insights into the behavior of massive objects, such as black holes and neutron stars, and their interactions with each other. It can also help us understand the origins and evolution of the universe.

5. How does the detection of gravitational waves impact our understanding of the universe?

The detection of gravitational waves has confirmed the existence of a new type of wave and has provided evidence for the validity of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It has also opened up new possibilities for studying the universe and has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of gravity and the cosmos.