Graviton exchange for two freely propagating particle:solution String theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Feynman diagrams for two freely propagating particles and the corrections from one and two graviton exchanges. The main issue is the divergence at arbitrary energies and the proposed solution is String theory, which represents objects as 1-dimensional strings. The question is how String theory resolves the divergence. The post also mentions a reference to Polchinski and requests for any additional insights.
moriheru
Consider the feynman diagramms for two freely propagating particles...Correction from one graviton exchange.
Correction from two graviton exchange.The problem at hand is the divergence (of the math) at arbitary energys and each additional graviton exchange. So there are several resoultions and one seems to be String theory. My question is how does string theory solve this? I understand that String theory represents things (this is precision) as 1-d strings, but how does that resolve the divergence?
I believe this is a well know concept, so I hope not to fidle with the mathematics. I know that this is a messy and rough description. I am referring to Polchinski. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is graviton exchange in the context of two freely propagating particles?

Graviton exchange is a theoretical concept in string theory where two particles interact with each other by exchanging virtual gravitons. These virtual particles, which are the carriers of the gravitational force, are exchanged between the two particles and result in an attractive force between them.

2. How does graviton exchange explain the force of gravity?

In string theory, graviton exchange is the mechanism that explains the force of gravity between two masses. The exchange of virtual gravitons between particles creates a gravitational field, which is responsible for the attraction between masses.

3. Can graviton exchange be observed in experiments?

No, graviton exchange is a theoretical concept and has not been directly observed in experiments. However, it is a fundamental part of string theory, which is currently the leading theory of quantum gravity.

4. How is graviton exchange related to string theory?

Graviton exchange is a key concept in string theory, which is a theoretical framework that aims to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. In string theory, gravitons are considered to be one of the fundamental building blocks of the universe, along with other particles such as quarks and electrons.

5. Is graviton exchange the only explanation for gravity in string theory?

No, graviton exchange is not the only explanation for gravity in string theory. There are other mechanisms, such as the warping of spacetime, that also contribute to the understanding of gravity in this theory. However, graviton exchange is a fundamental concept that is essential for understanding the behavior of gravity in string theory.