Graviton represented as a gluon pair

In summary, the idea is that the gravitational force is just an extension of the strong force conveyed by a gluon pair. The concept is not a serious school of thought among theoretical physicists, and currently there is nothing to discuss.
Feeble Wonk
I'm not a physicist, but I'm pathologically curious about such things. I've recently heard that there is a growing school of thought among theoretical physicists that the graviton (and resultant gravitational force) is actually just an extension of the strong force conveyed by a gluon pair. This concept seemed counter intuitive to me for many reasons, including the fact that the gravitational force gradually weakens at increasing distances.

So, my question... Is this idea actually becoming even close to a consensus opinion, and how does the strong force then relate to the Higgs particle and to the space-time effects produced by gravitation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give a reference for this idea? It sounds highly speculative to me.

Feeble Wonk said:
I've recently heard that there is a growing school of thought among theoretical physicists that the graviton (and resultant gravitational force) is actually just an extension of the strong force conveyed by a gluon pair

By reputable theoretical physicists? Where? Please provide a better reference.

This sounds like someone who didn't know what he was talking about picked some words out of papers by Dixon, Bern and Kosower, and then rearranged them. That's as close to real science that this idea will get.

I wish I could, but no. I just heard about the "theory" while watching an episode of the "Through the Wormhole" series on the science channel. That's the problem with these pop-science shows. They often float fringe ideas as if they have consensus support.
I take it that the concept is not a serious school of thought among theoretical physicists?

Feeble Wonk said:
That's the problem with these pop-science shows. They often float fringe ideas as if they have consensus support.
Right.
Feeble Wonk said:
I take it that the concept is not a serious school of thought among theoretical physicists?
jtbell, V50 and I never heard of it and the concept sounds really odd. That is not a proof, but it is evidence against such a concept as serious physics. Currently there is nothing to discuss. If you find a reputable source, please write me a message and I will open the thread again.

ChrisVer found something: Paper / arXiv

As far as I understand it, it is just a mathematical similarity.

I am reminded of the Monty Python sketch "Great Actors". "I don't want you to get the impression it's just a question of the number of words. Getting them in the right order is just as important."

It probably has something to do with the fact that in many forms of string theory, a graviton is a closed string (a loop) and a gluon / gauge boson is an open string (segment of a loop), and you can create a loop by attaching the ends of two loop-segments to each other. Also that there are deep relations between field theory and string theory - something like this second part is needed for the stringy relation to have implications for field theory... But the details are still being worked out, last I heard.

Likes nrqed
Last edited:

1. What is a graviton represented as a gluon pair?

A graviton represented as a gluon pair is a hypothetical particle that is thought to be responsible for the force of gravity. It is believed to be a spin-2 boson, meaning it has two units of angular momentum, and is associated with the exchange of gluons, which are the carriers of the strong nuclear force.

2. How does a graviton represented as a gluon pair interact with matter?

The graviton represented as a gluon pair is believed to interact with matter through the curvature of spacetime. This means that it affects the way objects move and interact with each other due to its influence on the fabric of the universe.

3. Is there any evidence for the existence of a graviton represented as a gluon pair?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of a graviton represented as a gluon pair. However, there are theories and mathematical models that suggest its existence, and scientists are actively searching for ways to detect and observe this particle.

4. How does the concept of a graviton represented as a gluon pair relate to other fundamental forces?

The graviton represented as a gluon pair is thought to be related to the other fundamental forces, such as electromagnetism, the weak nuclear force, and the strong nuclear force, through the concept of a unified field theory. This theory aims to explain how all of these forces are connected and can be described by a single, fundamental force.

5. What are the implications of discovering a graviton represented as a gluon pair?

If a graviton represented as a gluon pair is discovered, it would provide a deeper understanding of the nature of gravity and how it relates to other fundamental forces. It could also potentially lead to the development of new technologies and advancements in areas such as space exploration and quantum mechanics.