Gravity and a moving Treadmill

• B
  • Thread starter LM542
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity and its relationship to a treadmill. The individual asking the question suggests that a spaceship flying towards a planet could potentially accelerate like a person on a treadmill. However, it is clarified that this assumption is incorrect and gravity does not resemble a treadmill. The concept of using a planet's gravitational field to accelerate a spaceship is also mentioned as a method used in space exploration.
LM542
I imagine gravity works similar to a treadmill and my question is based on the same assumption

Imagine a very very long treadmill with a person on it. The treadmill starts and the person moves to the right.
But the treadmill has wheels and drives faster to the left. The person now moves to the left despite being pulled back.

Question:
A spaceship flies at 12 o’clock and a fast and big planet is coming from 5 o’clock and heads to 10 o’clock.
The planet is faster than the pull of its gravity and if I apply the treadmill example, the spaceship should now accelerate like the person on the treadmill.

Is that possible or is it BS?

Physics news on Phys.org
LM542 said:
I imagine gravity works similar to a treadmill and my question is based on the same assumption
The assumption is incorrect. Gravity does not resemble a treadmill. In particular, the speed of the hypothetical treadmill does not somehow correspond to a speed of gravity.

Gravity is equivalent to a continuous acceleration, not some given velocity.
However, about your space ship, yes that concept of using the gravitational field of a planet combined with it's orbital velocity does work and is used as a way to 'slingshot' long distance space probes at very high velocity while using a minimal amount of onboard engine propulsion.

1. How does gravity affect a moving treadmill?

Gravity plays a significant role in the movement of a treadmill. It is responsible for keeping the user's feet on the surface of the treadmill, allowing them to move with the belt. It also helps to keep the treadmill stable and prevent it from tipping over.

2. Does gravity affect the speed of a moving treadmill?

Gravity does not directly affect the speed of a moving treadmill. However, it can indirectly impact the speed by affecting the user's body weight and the force they exert on the treadmill. Heavier individuals may cause the treadmill to move faster because of their increased weight and force.

3. Can the force of gravity be adjusted on a treadmill?

No, the force of gravity cannot be adjusted on a treadmill. It is a natural force that is always present and cannot be altered. However, the speed and incline of the treadmill can be adjusted to provide a different level of resistance for the user.

4. How does gravity affect a person's movement on a moving treadmill?

Gravity helps to keep a person's feet on the treadmill and allows them to move with the belt. It also affects the amount of energy and effort needed to move on the treadmill, as the force of gravity pulls the user downward and increases the resistance.

5. Is there a difference in gravity's effect on a stationary treadmill versus a moving treadmill?

Gravity has the same effect on both a stationary and a moving treadmill. The only difference may be the user's movement and the additional force exerted on the treadmill while in motion. However, the force of gravity remains constant in both scenarios.