Gravity in General Relativity: Explaining Acceleration

In summary: I'm thinking about something else)In summary, curved spacetime causes objects to accelerate towards the center of a massive object. This is because the distortion of spacetime near the massive object is directly towards the center.
nikkor180
Greetings: I can understand that an object's trajectory curves about a greater mass (e. g., satellite in Earth's orbit). The spacetime is curved via the great mass and the moving object simply follows the curvature. My problem is this: Why does a stationary object at a short distance from Earth's surface (or any distance) accelerate toward the center. Can we still explain this via general relativity. How can a curved "track" in space compel a static body to acquire velocity. Is it still the curvature of spacetime that compels a static body to accelerate in magnitude?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you seen this animation?:

Likes FactChecker
nikkor180 said:
Why does a stationary object at a short distance from Earth's surface (or any distance) accelerate toward the center.

I assume you mean an object that is released from rest at some height above the Earth's surface, so it can free fall downward?

The answer is the same as the one you gave for curving trajectories: the moving object is simply following spacetime curvature.

nikkor180 said:
How can a curved "track" in space compel a static body to acquire velocity.

The trajectory isn't curved in space; it's curved in spacetime.

"Acquire velocity" might be misleading you, because "velocity" is frame-dependent. In a frame in which the Earth is at rest, any object passing near the Earth will, in general, "acquire velocity". That's just as true of an object flying by as of an object released from rest; an object flying by does not just change direction, it changes speed.

nikkor180 said:
Greetings: I can understand that an object's trajectory curves about a greater mass (e. g., satellite in Earth's orbit). The spacetime is curved via the great mass and the moving object simply follows the curvature. My problem is this: Why does a stationary object at a short distance from Earth's surface (or any distance) accelerate toward the center. Can we still explain this via general relativity. How can a curved "track" in space compel a static body to acquire velocity. Is it still the curvature of spacetime that compels a static body to accelerate in magnitude?

The idea of curved spacetime does not mean there are specific tracks in space or spacetime. This seems to be a common misconception. There is another thread about it here, for example:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/curved-spacetime-gr-vs-Newtonian-physics.959934/#post-6087645

Well, freely falling test bodies follow very specific "tracks in spacetime" (shortly called world lines), namely the (time-like or lightlike if you consider massless particles to model "light rays" in the sense of ray optics) geodesics of the spacetime determined by the energy-momentum-stress distribution of the "big objects", e.g., the Schwarzschild solution for a spherically symmetric object.

To follow up on what's already been said, here's a picture that might help:
helix.jpg

In the absence of gravity, on the left, we have the path of a particle that is sitting at rest at a particular point in space, which means that its path through spaceTIME is a straight line (shown in blue) going parallel to the time axis (in some coordinate system). I'm just show two spatial dimensions to make it simpler. In the presence of gravity, the particle's path through spacetime is no longer a straight line when viewed in the x-y-t coordinate system, but is instead a spiral. That spiral represents an orbit in the x-y plane.

To understand how gravity works, you have to consider that it's not just space that is curved,. but spaceTIME.

Attachments

• helix.jpg
    helix.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 480
Likes vanhees71
stevendaryl said:
I'm just show two spatial dimensions to make it simpler
And because there's no way to show three spatial dimensions plus time in a two dimensional sheet :smile:

vanhees71 said:
freely falling test bodies follow very specific "tracks in spacetime"

Yes, but which tracks they follow depend on initial conditions. Flying by the Earth at a fairly high speed is a very different initial condition from being released from rest above the Earth's surface. That's why the two tracks are different. But they both are valid tracks of freely falling bodies in the curved spacetime around the Earth.

Sure, how a specific body moves in a give spacetime depends on the initial conditions, but that's not very surprising. It's true already in Newtonian physics ;-).

Bandersnatch said:
Have you seen this animation?:
This animation is as good as it gets for visualizing the situation. I think there also is some crude logic that helps:
1) Since we know that spacetime is curved near a massive object, a straight path in it must contain some motion. So a released initially-stationary object must accelerate in some direction.
2) Since the distortion curvature is directly toward the center of the massive object, the acceleration of a released object will either be directly toward or directly away from the massive object.
3) If the acceleration was away from the massive body, there would only be "antigravity" and there would be no massive bodies. (Sorry, I can't think at the moment of any crude mathematical reason for it to be toward rather than away and I can only resort to the non-mathematical evidence.)

1. What is the concept of gravity in general relativity?

The concept of gravity in general relativity is that it is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. Objects with mass or energy cause a distortion in the fabric of spacetime, which causes other objects to follow curved paths in this distorted space.

2. How does general relativity explain the acceleration of objects?

In general relativity, the acceleration of objects is explained by the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. Objects with mass or energy cause a distortion in the fabric of spacetime, which causes other objects to follow curved paths in this distorted space. This curvature of spacetime is what we perceive as the force of gravity.

3. Can general relativity explain the behavior of objects in both strong and weak gravitational fields?

Yes, general relativity can explain the behavior of objects in both strong and weak gravitational fields. In strong gravitational fields, such as those near massive objects like black holes, the curvature of spacetime is more pronounced and can cause extreme effects like time dilation. In weak gravitational fields, such as those on Earth, the curvature of spacetime is less pronounced but still causes objects to follow curved paths in space.

4. How does general relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

General relativity differs from Newton's theory of gravity in that it does not describe gravity as a force between masses, but rather as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. Additionally, general relativity can account for the effects of gravity on time and space, while Newton's theory cannot.

5. Can general relativity be tested and proven?

Yes, general relativity has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately describe the behavior of objects in our universe. Some of the most famous tests include the bending of light by massive objects, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the gravitational redshift of light. These tests have provided strong evidence for the validity of general relativity.