Gravity in the center of the Earth (a confusion)

In summary: But several land forms throughout the world having different masses could cause a distortion which could make an imbalance on the gravity at the center of the earth. I mean there will be some gravity at the center right?. Then why is it said to be zero ?There are several reasons why gravity at the center of the Earth is said to be zero. First, if you take an average density and spherical shape for the planet, it would be zero. However, in real life, the shape and density of the planet is constantly changing, which means that the gravity at the center of the Earth is not always zero. Second, if you consider Earth to be an inertial frame - a non-accelerating system - calculations of speeds on the
Allen_Wolf
I have learned that the gravity at the center of the Earth is zero. I guess its because it gets balanced as the force from all the sides are equal in magnitude and opp in direction. But several land forms throughout the world having different masses could cause a distortion which could make an imbalance on the gravity at the centre of the earth. I mean there will be some gravity at the center right?. Then why is it said to be zero ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that although there are parts of the crust which are composed of marginally denser material than other parts, the crust is a very small part of the overall volume of the planet, so it's contribution to the where lies the center of gravity for the planet is negligible.

Allen_Wolf said:
But several land forms throughout the world having different masses could cause a distortion which could make an imbalance on the gravity at the centre of the earth. I mean there will be some gravity at the center right?. Then why is it said to be zero ?

actually when you theorize the whole situation an uniform average density and spherical shape is taken as a model.
but when you get to real situation the changes in gravitational force will be observed on the Earth's surface also due to uneven mass formations that's why the real shape is different and due to geological changes in such a great/large time span of cooling and spinning a semi-equilibrium has been attained -therefore in equilibrium condition of real Earth the g=0 may get shifted - but in all rough model calculations we take the gravity to be zero at the centre as the shift may not be so large to account for.
another example is we take Earth as inertial frame - non accelerating system in usual calculations of speeds on Earth but when actual rotational effects become important we treat Earth as accelerating frame.

Physics is all about approximations. (Queue the spherical cow joke.) It's not wrong to make an approximation, unless yourv application requires a level of accuracy higher than the approximation allows.

How accurately do you need to know the gravity at the center of the Earth? (How do you even define where the center is?)

Allen_Wolf said:
I have learned that the gravity at the center of the Earth is zero. I guess its because it gets balanced as the force from all the sides are equal in magnitude and opp in direction. But several land forms throughout the world having different masses could cause a distortion which could make an imbalance on the gravity at the centre of the earth. I mean there will be some gravity at the center right?. Then why is it said to be zero ?

Perhaps you could define the centre of the Earth as the point where gravity is 0.

Likes FactChecker
Then I think that would be the earth-moon barycenter.

1. What is the force of gravity at the center of the Earth?

The force of gravity at the center of the Earth is zero. This is because the gravitational pull from all sides of the Earth cancels out, resulting in a net force of zero.

2. Why does gravity decrease as you move towards the center of the Earth?

Gravity decreases as you move towards the center of the Earth because the mass above you is pulling in all directions, resulting in a smaller net gravitational force. This is known as the "shell theorem" in physics.

3. Is there any gravity at the center of the Earth?

As mentioned before, the force of gravity at the center of the Earth is technically zero. However, there is still a gravitational pull from the entire mass of the Earth surrounding the center. This pull is not strong enough to be felt or have any significant effect.

4. Can you experience weightlessness at the center of the Earth?

No, it is not possible to experience weightlessness at the center of the Earth. As mentioned before, there is still a gravitational pull from the entire mass of the Earth, just not a strong enough one to be felt. In order to experience weightlessness, you need to be in a state of free-fall or far enough away from any significant gravitational pull.

5. How does gravity at the center of the Earth affect the Earth's rotation?

The gravity at the center of the Earth does not have a significant effect on the Earth's rotation. This is because the mass of the Earth is evenly distributed and the gravitational pull from all sides cancels out, resulting in no net force causing a change in rotation.