Gravity of a Ring on a Particle

In summary, the gravitational potential energy of a ring-shaped body with mass M is given by U = (G*m*M)/(r^2 + a^2)^(1/2).
student34

Homework Statement

Consider a ring-shaped body in a fixed position with mass M. A particle with mass m is placed at a distance x from the center of the ring and perpendicular to its plane. Calculate the gravitational potential energy U of the system (the picture has a small sphere traveling towards the center of a ring perpendicular to the ring's plane).

Homework Equations

Fg = (G*m*M)/r^2

Fg*r = U = (G*m*M)/r, where r is the radius, and G = 6.67*10^(-11) (gravitational constant)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let r be the hypotenuse of a right triangular distance to any part of the ring and a be the distance from the center of the ring to join the hypotenuse. x will make the 90° angle with a.

So, I thought that I would multiply the perpendicular component of force to the perpendicular distance x to get a function for gravitational potential energy,
F(perpendicular component) = (G*m*M)/(x^2) = (G*m*M)/(r^2 - a^2), where x^2 = r^2 - a^2.
Then, U = (G*m*M)/(r^2 - a^2)*(r^2 - a^2)^(1/2) = (G*m*M)/(r^2 - a^2)^(1/2).
But apparently this is wrong.

The right answer is U = (G*m*M)/(r^2 + a^2)^(1/2), the same as my answer except for the +.

I just don't understand why my answer is not right.

Attachments

• Gravity Ring.png
    Gravity Ring.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 863
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Provide picture please.

Are you positive that that is the correct answer?

Each section of the ring has some infinitesimal mass that is proportional to some infinitesimal length. Mathematically,

[tex] dM = \frac{M}{2πa}dl\\
dM = \frac{M}{2πa}adø[/tex]

If this substitution is not obvious to you, all I did was say that the infinitesimal length, dl, is actually an arc length, that, with a little bit of trig, can be given as L = aø. where ø is in radians, and is the angle that is swept out by the ring, and a is the radius. This obviously is 2pi for the entire ring, but we will come back to that. We can plug this infinitesimal mass into our potential energy problem and should see that for each tiny bit of mass, we should get a tiny bit of potentially energy.

Can you see where you need to go from here? I don't know what your physical level is, or what mathematical background you come from.

Bashkir said:
Are you positive that that is the correct answer?

Each section of the ring has some infinitesimal mass that is proportional to some infinitesimal length. Mathematically,

[tex] dM = \frac{M}{2πa}dl\\
dM = \frac{M}{2πa}adø[/tex]

If this substitution is not obvious to you, all I did was say that the infinitesimal length, dl, is actually an arc length, that, with a little bit of trig, can be given as L = aø. where ø is in radians, and is the angle that is swept out by the ring, and a is the radius. This obviously is 2pi for the entire ring, but we will come back to that. We can plug this infinitesimal mass into our potential energy problem and should see that for each tiny bit of mass, we should get a tiny bit of potentially energy.

Can you see where you need to go from here? I don't know what your physical level is, or what mathematical background you come from.

Oh thank-you so much! :)

Dear 34,

You want to consider where your relevant equations apply. You confuse me (and likely yourself as well) by using the term radius to describe r.

Then in your solution you use x (which is smaller than the distance between m and M -- meaning you would get a larger magnitude for the force). Why ?

There is another issue: your expression goes to infinity when x -> 0 which should go against all intuition.

[edit]So where did you end up with your answer ? And: is your r the same r as the r in the answer ?

BvU said:
Dear 34,

You want to consider where your relevant equations apply. You confuse me (and likely yourself as well) by using the term radius to describe r.

Then in your solution you use x (which is smaller than the distance between m and M -- meaning you would get a larger magnitude for the force). Why ?

There is another issue: your expression goes to infinity when x -> 0 which should go against all intuition.

[edit]So where did you end up with your answer ? And: is your r the same r as the r in the answer ?

Yeah, I was out of control with this one; I get it now though. Thanks anyways!

1. What is the "gravity of a ring on a particle"?

The gravity of a ring on a particle refers to the force of attraction between a circular ring and a point particle due to their masses.

2. How is the force of gravity between a ring and particle calculated?

The force of gravity between a ring and particle is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Can the gravity of a ring on a particle be repulsive?

No, the gravity of a ring on a particle is always attractive due to the nature of gravity as a force of attraction between two masses.

4. How does the distance between the ring and particle affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity between a ring and particle decreases as the distance between them increases. This relationship follows an inverse square law, meaning that the force decreases exponentially as the distance increases.

5. What is the significance of studying the gravity of a ring on a particle?

Studying the gravity of a ring on a particle helps us understand the fundamental principles of gravity and how it affects objects of different sizes and shapes. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as astrophysics and engineering, where gravity plays a significant role in the behavior and movement of objects in space.