Gravity Probe B / precession question

In summary, before the development of general relativity, the precession of Earth was explained by its equatorial bulge causing an imperfectly spherical shape. This was a limitation in Newton's theory. However, the gravity probe B experiment was able to eliminate this effect by using almost perfectly spherical gyroscopes.
elegysix
I've been reading up on gravity probe B and the results, but I have a question about precession in general - I've heard it said that since the gyroscopes are in free fall there is no classical precession to be expected.

So then, what explanation was there for Earth's precession before general relativity? We knew about Earth's precession long before einstein was around. Surely there was a classical model for Earth's precession, right? That seems like a big hole in Newton's theory if we knew about the Earth's precession but couldn't explain it.

Physics news on Phys.org
In Newtonian theory, the Earth precesses because it's not perfectly spherical - i.e because it has an equatorial bulge. Goldstein, "Classical Mechanics", has quite a bit about it. Tidal forces won't cause a perfect sphere to precess, but they will cause an imperfect one to precess.

I'm pretty sure that this is the dominant cause of precession even in GR (though I'm not positive on this point).

Great care was taken to make the gravity probe gyroscopes almost perfectly spherical, so that this effect wouldn't interfere with the experiment.

I may be wrong, but I think precession of Earth is due to the Earth being not spherical but oblate, so there are forces which try to move the equator back to the eclipsis and which are responsible for the precession. In GP-B this mechanism should be absent, as the rotators are almost perfectly spherical.

1. What is Gravity Probe B and what was its purpose?

Gravity Probe B was a NASA space mission that aimed to test two key predictions of Einstein's theory of general relativity: the geodetic effect and the frame-dragging effect. The spacecraft carried gyroscopes that measured tiny changes in their orientation as they orbited the Earth, providing evidence for these predictions.

2. How did Gravity Probe B measure the geodetic and frame-dragging effects?

The gyroscopes on board the spacecraft were extremely sensitive and could detect changes in their orientation as small as 0.00000000001 degree. By comparing the gyroscopes' measurements with predictions from Einstein's theory, scientists were able to confirm the existence of the geodetic and frame-dragging effects.

3. What is the precession of gyroscopes and why is it important?

The precession of gyroscopes refers to the change in their orientation due to the effects of gravity. This phenomenon is important because it provides evidence for the curvature of space-time, as predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

4. How long did the Gravity Probe B mission last and what were the results?

The Gravity Probe B mission lasted for about 16 years, from 2004 to 2020. The results confirmed Einstein's predictions with a high level of accuracy, providing strong evidence for the validity of his theory of general relativity.

5. What impact did the Gravity Probe B mission have on our understanding of gravity?

The Gravity Probe B mission was a major milestone in the study of gravity and its effects on space and time. The results of the mission provided further confirmation of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which is still the most accurate and widely accepted theory of gravity to date.