GRE General Score Question -- Should I retake it?

In summary, the person got a 158 on the verbal part of the GRE and is wondering if it's good enough for a PhD in physics. They have a 170 on the math part and are considering schools like MIT and Caltech. The advice is to talk to someone at MIT and see what the requirements are for the specific school they are applying to. It is suggested to include any original research, publications, special skills, or awards in their application. The person may not need to retake the verbal part as long as it is not considered "too low" by potential advisors.
Silviu
Hello! I just had my general GRE and I got 158 on the verbal part. How good/bad is it? I want to apply for a phD in physics, should I retake it? I got 170 for math and I am talking about graduate schools as MIT and Caltech. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's some stats to consider:

https://magoosh.com/gre/2016/mit-gre-scores/

It seems that your verbal part is a bit low but since your math is higher then it might fly. Often though they will want to look at your transcripts and other factors as well. What other things do have that might influence them? original research? some publications? special skills? awards? Don't forget to include them in your application.

Your best bet s to talk with someone at MIT about it to see what they say and you should apply no matter what.

You should know what the requirements are for whatever school you are applying too. I imagine for MIT and Caltech they'd be on the high side.

Likes jedishrfu
I got into a top 10 school for mechanical engineering with a 157 verbal. My roommate got the same. I don't think you need to retake. I actually asked our admission department and they said it's all up to professors, and as long as you're not "too low" you're fine. So if you want to know for sure you can talk to specific potential advisers.

1. Should I retake the GRE General Exam if I am not happy with my score?

It ultimately depends on your individual goals and the score you received. If you are applying to highly competitive graduate programs, it may be beneficial to retake the exam in order to improve your chances of admission. However, if your score is already within the range of your desired programs, it may not be necessary to retake the exam.

2. How many times can I retake the GRE General Exam?

You can take the GRE General Exam up to five times within a 12-month period. However, it is important to keep in mind that some graduate programs may have policies on how many times they will consider an applicant's scores. Additionally, retaking the exam too many times may not be beneficial, as it can show inconsistency in your scores.

3. Will retaking the GRE General Exam affect my chances of admission?

Retaking the GRE General Exam may affect your chances of admission in both positive and negative ways. If you are able to significantly improve your score, it can show determination and dedication to your academic goals. However, if your score does not improve or decreases, it may raise questions about your preparedness for graduate level coursework.

4. How long should I wait before retaking the GRE General Exam?

It is recommended to wait at least 21 days before retaking the GRE General Exam. This allows enough time to review and potentially improve your score. However, it is also important to consider any application deadlines for your desired graduate programs.

5. Can I choose which scores to send to graduate programs?

Yes, you can choose which scores to send to graduate programs. This is known as score select and it allows you to send your most recent scores or scores from all of your GRE General Exam attempts. However, some graduate programs may require you to send all of your scores, so it is important to check their policies beforehand.