GRE question: oscilloscope with two oscillators

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a given attachment and the answer being A. The person asking the question is not sure why the answer is A and mentions that in lab class, putting 2 signals on the x and y-axis usually results in a closed loop, like D or E. They also mention that D occurs when the frequencies are the same but the amplitudes are different, leading them to believe the answer is E. They then ask for clarification on the relative frequencies in E. The other person responds that they chose E by process of elimination but are not sure of the relative frequencies in E.
Silviu

Homework Statement

Hello! The problem is the one I attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

They say the answer is A, but I am not sure why. From what I remember from lab class, when you put 2 signals on x and y-axis you get usually a closed loop, like D or E. I think D happens when you have the same frequency but different amplitudes so I assumed the answer is E. Can someone explain why is it A?

Thank you.

Attachments

• GRE.png
    GRE.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
In E, what would be the relative frequencies along X and Y?

DrClaude said:
In E, what would be the relative frequencies along X and Y?
Oh, I am not sure. I picked that just by elimination...

How did you eliminate the others then?

1. What is an oscilloscope and how does it work?

An oscilloscope is a test instrument used to measure and display electrical signals. It works by using a cathode ray tube (CRT) to show a visual representation of the signal on a screen. The signal is converted into a voltage and displayed as a graph, with time on the horizontal axis and voltage on the vertical axis.

2. How many oscillators does an oscilloscope with two channels have?

An oscilloscope with two channels typically has two oscillators, one for each channel. This allows for the display of two signals simultaneously on the screen.

3. What is the purpose of having two oscillators on an oscilloscope?

The main purpose of having two oscillators on an oscilloscope is to compare and analyze two signals at the same time. This can be useful for troubleshooting circuits, measuring phase difference between signals, or observing the effects of different inputs on a system.

4. Can you adjust the frequency of the oscillators on an oscilloscope?

Yes, the frequency of the oscillators can typically be adjusted on an oscilloscope. This allows for the measurement and display of signals with different frequencies.

5. Is it possible to use an oscilloscope with two oscillators for audio signals?

Yes, an oscilloscope with two oscillators can be used for audio signals. However, it is important to make sure that the frequency range of the oscilloscope is suitable for the audio signals being measured.