Great bargain for Beethoven fans

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, Amazon is offering a "Complete Beethoven Edition" on the Brilliant Classics label for a pre-order price of less than US$30. This set includes 85 CDs and has been gaining attention on classical-music forums. It is set to be released on May 31 and currently ranks #31 on amazon.com's best-selling music list. There have been some concerns about the pricing and licensing issues, but some customers have already received their orders. The set includes recordings from the 1960s and 1980s by well-known performers such as Alfred Brendel and Herbert Blomstedt. Other dealers are selling the set for a higher price, but Amazon may still honor the pre-order price for single orders.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
On amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HGQXB8/?tag=pfamazon01-20 a "Complete Beethoven Edition" on the Brilliant Classics label, 85 CDs for less than US$30! (pre-order price, release date is May 31)

Word has apparently been spreading like wildfire on classical-music forums and other sites. As I write this, the set ranks #31 in amazon.com's best-selling music list, the highest-ranking classical item except for the "Royal Wedding Music" album which is two places in front of it. It first appeared on amazon.com on May 3.

Brilliant Classics is releasing several box sets on May 31, and the others seem to be at similar prices, but this one is by far the largest. The others are ten CDs or so. So this may be an error by amazon.com, and they may weasel out of it in the end. Nevertheless, I've placed my order. Even though I already have most of the music in other performances, I can't pass up a bargain like this.

These are all "oldish" recordings that Brilliant Classics has licensed from other record labels. For example, the symphonies were recorded around 1980 by Herbert Blomstedt and the Dresden Staatskapelle, and the piano sonatas were recorded by Alfred Brendel in the 1960s. I know these two by reputation as being good performances, and the sound should be pretty good if not quite up to modern audiophile standards.

This is actually the second version of the Brilliant Classics Beethoven Edition. They apparently had to replace some of the performances in the earlier version because of licensing issues with the record companies that originally recorded them. Other dealers seem to be selling the set (old and/or new versions) for about €100 or US$130.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That deal lasted for all of two days. Now the page has the message "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available" and no price.

Nevertheless, my pre-order is still listed in my account, under the old price. Will Amazon actually ship it? Stay tuned...

Hope you get that great deal!

Someone who got greedy and ordered multiple copies of the set received an e-mail from amazon.com:

amazon.com said:
[...]At any given time, despite our best efforts, a small number of the
millions of items on our site may be mispriced. However, this was our
mistake, and we'll honor the incorrect price for one of the items you
ordered. We're unable to honor the price for multiple quantities of
this item. Therefore, we've adjusted the quantity of your order to
"1". We're sorry for the disappointing news.

So it looks like they intend to fulfill single pre-orders. It might take a while to get enough stock to cover them. I wonder how many people jumped on this bargain?

This is a great collection, I also have The Complete Mozart, and looking at getting the Haydn collection.

Amazon did in fact ship my "el cheapo" copy ($29.44 with free super saver shipping), while my wife and I were away on a trip. When we returned home today, the first thing I did was go to the college's mail room to pick it up. I wonder how long it will take me to rip 85 CDs into iTunes, re-tag them according to my standards, and listen to them. :rolleyes:

jtbell said:
Amazon did in fact ship my "el cheapo" copy ($29.44 with free super saver shipping), while my wife and I were away on a trip. When we returned home today, the first thing I did was go to the college's mail room to pick it up. I wonder how long it will take me to rip 85 CDs into iTunes, re-tag them according to my standards, and listen to them. :rolleyes:

Right now I'd be happy with one high quality recording/performance of the Choral Fantasy. I sampled a whole bunch of them and couldn't find one I liked. The Brendal, which is what I suspect you'll get in your set, is a good performance but an unsatisfactory recording.

Related to Great bargain for Beethoven fans

What is the "Great bargain for Beethoven fans" deal?

The "Great bargain for Beethoven fans" is a discounted offer on Beethoven's music and merchandise, available for a limited time.

What does the deal include?

The deal includes a collection of Beethoven's famous symphonies, concertos, and sonatas, as well as merchandise such as t-shirts, posters, and mugs.

How much does the deal cost?

The cost of the deal may vary depending on the retailer and the specific items included, but it is typically a significant discount compared to buying each item separately.

How long is the deal available?

The deal is only available for a limited time, usually a few weeks or months. It is important to check the expiration date and take advantage of the offer before it ends.

Where can I find the "Great bargain for Beethoven fans" deal?

The deal may be available at various online retailers, such as music stores or Beethoven fan websites. It is also possible to find the deal in physical stores that sell music and merchandise.