Great Circles and....Coriolis?

• I
  • Thread starter peanutaxis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, the conversation discusses the Coriolis Effect and how an object at the surface of the Earth would travel in a great circle if there was no atmosphere. However, due to the solid crust, the object is unable to do so and instead experiences an opposing force from the crust. This force may contribute to the bulge at the equator but not the centrifugal bulge. The discussion also touches on how this force may affect the atmosphere and its pressure at the equator.
peanutaxis
Hi,

Not sure how to categorize/title this question. I was looking at the Coriolis Effect and was considering the straight-line motion of an object wrt the background stars/masses and this question occurred to me:

Except for the fact that they are traveling nowhere near fast enough to trace out a great circle, an object on the surface of the Earth wants to travel in a great circle. If there was no atmosphere and I had an anti-gravity object that I could suspend just above the Earth's surface, the object would trace out a great circle, similar to a satellite. The moment I let it go it would be at the maximum latitude (northern hemisphere) of a great circle and it would drift south towards the equator. Then it would spend an equal amount of time in the Southern Hemisphere, and it would meet me back where it started after 24 hours.(EDIT: 24 hours at the equator. Longer the further north or south you go)

Is this correct? If it is then, surely, every elemental mass δm at the surface of the Earth is trying to move in a great circle about the center of the earth. But because the crust is solid it can't. i.e. the crust is providing an opposing force towards the north(or south). How does this force play out? Does it add to the bulge at the equator in addition to the centrifugal bulge? How does this affect the atmosphere (since it can move) - do all gases in the atmosphere try to move towards the equator and so is the atmospheric pressure there greater?thanks.
p

Physics news on Phys.org
peanutaxis said:
Does it add to the bulge at the equator in addition to the centrifugal bulge?
No, it sounds more like a partial explanation of the equatorial bulge in the inertial frame, where there is no centrifugal force.

1. What is a Great Circle and why is it important?

A Great Circle is the shortest distance between two points on a sphere. It is important because it helps determine the most efficient routes for travel and navigation, especially for long distances.

2. How is the Coriolis effect related to Great Circles?

The Coriolis effect is the apparent deflection of objects on a rotating sphere, such as the Earth. It affects the direction of air and water currents, which in turn affects the path of Great Circles.

3. Do Great Circles exist on a flat map?

No, Great Circles only exist on a sphere. On a flat map, they appear as curved lines.

4. How do Great Circles impact flight paths?

Great Circles are used in aviation to determine the most efficient routes for long distance flights. Pilots will often follow Great Circles to save time and fuel.

5. Can Great Circles be used to measure distances on any planet?

Yes, Great Circles can be used to measure distances on any spherical object, not just Earth. This includes other planets, moons, and even stars.