Greater than 100 percent yield (102%)

In summary, the conversation discusses a series of reactions involving copper, and the possible sources of error in the experimental process. The main concern is that the percent yield was higher than 100%, and it is suggested that the presence of aqueous solutions and possibly methanol could have affected the results. The possibility of contamination with solid zinc is also mentioned.
biochem850

Homework Statement

Cu(s) + 4 HNO3 (aq) Cu(NO3)2 (aq) + 2 NO2 (g) + 2 H2O (l)
Cu(No3)2 + 2NaOH -------> Cu(OH)2 + 2NaNO3
Cu(OH)2→CuO + H2O
CuO + H2SO4 -> H2O + CuSO4
CuSO4(aq) + Zn ( s) ------- ZnSO4 (aq)+ Cu(s)

I carried out the follow reactions using copper as an inital product and my percent yield was higher than 100% but I've got some possible error sources. The aqueous solutions which could have possibly remained due to poor decantation are ZnSO4 and NaNO3 and because these substances have high boiling point, they would not be removed when drying the copper using a steam bath and their masses would have an effect? I feel that this is unlikely because we used four washes in which zinc sulfate and sodium nitrate are soluble.

We used methanol and acetone washes right beofre drying the copper and perhaps methanol remained when weighing (because acetone is more volatile)?

In addition, would the highest possible percent error be 2%?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which product are you asking for?

AGNuke said:
Which product are you asking for?

Copper

There is no such thing as the "highest possible percent error" - error is proportional to the experimentalist clumsiness, and unlimited :wink:

My bet is that your copper is contaminated with solid zinc. Hard to tell not knowing the complete procedure you followed.

Probably Copper is just made a thin layer of precipitation on Zinc piece. Try using finely divided Zinc dust.

1. What is "greater than 100 percent yield (102%)"?

"Greater than 100 percent yield (102%)" refers to a phenomenon in which the actual amount of product obtained from a chemical reaction is more than the theoretical maximum amount that is expected based on calculations.

2. How is it possible to have a yield greater than 100 percent?

This can occur when there is an error in the initial calculation of the theoretical yield or when additional product is formed due to secondary reactions during the chemical process.

3. Is a yield of 102% considered to be accurate?

No, a yield greater than 100 percent is not considered to be accurate as it goes against the fundamental principles of stoichiometry, which states that the amount of product formed should not exceed the amount predicted by the balanced chemical equation.

4. Can a yield greater than 100 percent be obtained consistently?

No, a yield greater than 100 percent is not a consistent or reliable result. It is usually considered to be a rare occurrence and can vary based on experimental conditions and the accuracy of measurements.

5. How is "greater than 100 percent yield" relevant in scientific research?

"Greater than 100 percent yield" can be an important indicator of the efficiency of a chemical reaction and can provide insights into the mechanisms of the reaction. It can also help scientists identify sources of error and improve their experimental methods.