Greek student going for grad studies in USA

In summary, if you have good grades and excellent recommendations, you have a good chance of getting into a great university in the USA in 3 years. However, research experience is important, and the situation is similar in Turkish universities. You'll need a high PhysicsGRE score, and your English is excellent.
kostas230
Hi, I'm freshman studying physics in the University of Patras (an unknown but demanding unversity but in Greece). My grades are good (3.2-3.7/4.0) and I have excellent recommendations. I just want to know what are the odds of getting into a great university in the USA (MIT, Princeton, Berkeley, CalTech etc) in 3 years from now. Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello!

First off, you're still a freshman. Don't worry about grad school just yet! College is for more than finding what you want to do immediately and getting tunnel vision. You may decide to go into a different field entirely, or possibly not want to do grad school at all (and from what I understand, grad school may get interrupted by mandatory military service).

Those are fine grades for now, but you'll need to boost them a little. The most important thing for getting into grad school is research experience, so try to find a professor who will let you conduct research with them. It's a great way to get extra experience in the field and to discover if that's what you want to do.

Well, thing is that in Greek universities research where undergraduates are involved is almost non-existant and that's what's worrying me...

kostas230 said:
Well, thing is that in Greek universities research where undergraduates are involved is almost non-existant and that's what's worrying me...

the same situation in Turkey.
3.2 is not sufficient for MIT, princeton, caltech, etc. but 3.7 may be OK.
you need a high PhysicsGRE score, too.
your English is excellent. don't worry about TOEFL score.

I have a Bs degree in physics from by far the best university of Turkey. (bogazici university, 1988)
as far as I remember;

In 1988, a ME-phys double major student with 3.82 GPA and 91 percent PhysicsGRE score was accepted by princeton physics departmet with full financial aid.
he was the best of both engineering students and science students in our university.
in other words, he was the best student of the best university of Turkey.

in 1985, a physics student, in our university, with about 3.6 or 3.7 GPA and 98 percent physGRE score was accepted by Caltech with full financial aid.

in 1982, a physics sudent in our university was accepted by MIT with full financial aid but I don't have any information about his GPA and GRE scores.

when I visit the website of phys department of our university: (physics department of bogazici university)
I see, today, we have two profesors with PhD's from MIT. ( one of them part-time)
and one proffessor with a PhD from Caltech.

best wishes and good luck! :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help. :)

Related to Greek student going for grad studies in USA

1. What are the admission requirements for Greek students going for grad studies in the USA?

The admission requirements for Greek students vary depending on the university and program they are applying to. Generally, students are required to have a bachelor's degree from a recognized university, a competitive GPA, and good scores on standardized tests such as the GRE or GMAT. They may also need to submit letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and proof of English proficiency.

2. Can I apply for financial aid or scholarships as a Greek student going for grad studies in the USA?

Yes, Greek students are eligible to apply for financial aid and scholarships offered by universities in the USA. They can also apply for scholarships specific to international students or those from their home country. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early, as they may have specific deadlines and requirements.

3. Is it necessary to have a visa as a Greek student going for grad studies in the USA?

Yes, all international students, including Greek students, need a student visa to study in the USA. The type of visa required will depend on the length of the program and the student's country of citizenship. It is important to apply for a visa well in advance and to follow all the necessary steps and documentation required by the US embassy in Greece.

4. What is the cost of living for Greek students in the USA?

The cost of living for Greek students in the USA will vary depending on the location and lifestyle. Generally, living expenses in cities like New York and San Francisco will be higher compared to smaller cities or towns. On average, students can expect to spend around $1,000-$1,500 per month on rent, groceries, transportation, and other expenses. It is important to create a budget and plan accordingly to ensure financial stability during the studies.

5. Are there any cultural differences that Greek students should be aware of when studying in the USA?

Yes, there may be some cultural differences that Greek students should be aware of when studying in the USA. For example, the education system and teaching style may be different, and students may need to adapt to a more independent and self-directed approach to learning. Moreover, it is important to be open-minded and respectful of different cultures and beliefs in the USA, as it is a diverse country with people from various backgrounds.