Green Functions: Finding Solutions for Equations of All Types & Dimensions

In summary, there is no definitive list of green functions, but books such as Jackson Electrodynamics and Webphysics may be helpful.
JohanL
I need a list of Green functions,
for different types of equations and dimensions.

I have tried to use google but with no success.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a bunch of hits with a google for "green's theorem", but I'm not sure if there are other functions you're looking for.

Green functions are not the same thing as Green's Theorem.

I can't honestly say that I have seen anything tabulated. I can't say that I have ever looked for anything like that though either. I was always under the impression that green fuctions are dependent on boundary conditions and the Diff. Eq's being used. I'll keep my eyes open to see if I find anything. You might try searching with "Green's functions" as well. I have heard them referred to in both ways.

EDIT: The first hit I got using the "green's function" search...
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GreensFunction.html

FredGarvin said:
I can't honestly say that I have seen anything tabulated. I can't say that I have ever looked for anything like that though either. I was always under the impression that green fuctions are dependent on boundary conditions and the Diff. Eq's being used. I'll keep my eyes open to see if I find anything. You might try searching with "Green's functions" as well. I have heard them referred to in both ways.
Thx. Yes they are dependent on boundary conditions. But for the more simple cases i was sure to find tables of green functions.

Something like

[tex]-\frac {1} {2\pi}ln(\rho_1- \rho_2) ;\frac {i} {4}H_0[k(\rho_1- \rho_2)];\frac {1} {2\pi}K_0[k(\rho_1- \rho_2)][/tex]

for Laplace, Helmholtz and modified Helmholtz in the plane when G goes to 0 as r goes to infinity.
And also in 3 dimensions, for a sphere with homegenous diricihlet on the boundary, the diffusion equation, the wave equation etc.

Green functions are very useful when solving P.D.E and therefor i thought i could find some good tables. But none of my mathematical handbooks have this and i haven't found any on internet yet either.

Last edited:
JohanL said:
I need a list of Green functions,
for different types of equations and dimensions.

I have tried to use google but with no success.
There exists no such list since a "Green Function" is any function whose Laplacian equals [itex]\delta[/itex](|x-x'|). There is an infinity of such functions.

Pete

Green functions are not confined to differential equations containing the Laplacian, they work under an arbitrary differential operator. The Green function is by definition the solution to a differential equation under application of a unit impulse source term. The beautiful thing about Green functions is that once I know the solution for a unit impulse, I can obtain the solution for an arbitrary source by a convolution of the Green function with that source. This is of course predicated on linearity of the solutions.

Check out the first chapter or two of Jackson Electrodynamics for everything you would ever care to know about green functions.

pmb_phy said:
There exists no such list since a "Green Function" is any function whose Laplacian equals [itex]\delta[/itex](|x-x'|). There is an infinity of such functions.

Thats the Green function for the Laplace operator.
How is a general green function different from general solutions to ODEs, integrals etc? There are tables of those.
I found a short table of green functions in Arfken.

WMGoBuffs said:
Check out the first chapter or two of Jackson Electrodynamics for everything you would ever care to know about green functions.

Thx, but that's probably Laplace and Poisson differential operator only?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your answer!

Related to Green Functions: Finding Solutions for Equations of All Types & Dimensions

1. What are Green Functions, and how are they used for finding solutions to equations?

Green Functions are mathematical tools used in solving differential equations. They allow us to express the solution of an equation in terms of an integral involving the Green Function and a given forcing function. This technique is particularly useful for solving equations of all types and dimensions, as it provides a general framework for finding solutions.

2. What types of equations can be solved using Green Functions?

Green Functions can be used to solve a wide range of equations, including ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and integral equations. They are also applicable to equations in different dimensions, such as one, two, or three-dimensional problems.

3. How do Green Functions differ from other methods of solving equations?

Green Functions offer a more general and systematic approach to solving equations compared to other methods, such as separation of variables or Laplace transforms. They also provide a way to solve equations that may not have explicit analytical solutions.

4. Are Green Functions only applicable to linear equations?

No, Green Functions can be used to solve both linear and non-linear equations. However, they are particularly useful for linear equations, as they allow us to separate the solution into homogeneous and particular parts, making it easier to find a solution.

5. How do Green Functions help in understanding the behavior of a system?

Green Functions can provide insight into the behavior of a system by allowing us to analyze the response to different types of forcing functions. By studying how the Green Function changes with different inputs, we can gain a better understanding of the dynamics and characteristics of a system.