Grignard Reaction Stoichiometry

In summary, the conversation is about a Grignard reaction and a stoichiometry problem involving propylmagnesium bromide. The problem asks for the amount of the solution needed to react with a given amount of starting material and predicts the amount of product based on a given yield. The student is having trouble balancing the reaction and asks for clarification on the role of H3O+ in the calculation. The advice given is to focus on the molar ratio between the starting material and the Grignard reagent.
ampersand15
I'm in organic chemistry 1. We haven't gone over the Grignard reaction in class, but there was a stoichiometry problem assigned about one and I don't know how to get it started.

Homework Statement

The following Grignard reaction is performed.

RsxY7.jpg

Calculate how much of a 0.50M solution of propylmagnesium bromide is required to react completely with 25g of the starting material. Assume you need a 15% excess of the Grignard reagent. Then predict the amount of product based upon a 78% yield.

Homework Equations

If I can get past the first step it's just dimensional analysis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble at the first step, balancing the reaction. I end up with 7C, 16H, 2O, 1Mg, 1Br on the reactant side, and 7C, 14H, 2O, 1Mg, and 1Br on the product side. The only thing I can do that balances the equation is to ignore the H3O+. Is this what I'm supposed to do? Not including H3O+ in the calculation leaves me with 7C, 13H, and 1O on both sides. I'm assuming this has something to do with the Grignard reaction that I haven't encountered yet?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry too much about exact reaction. First of all, check how the Grignard reagent works. The only information you need to solve is the molar ratio between butenal and propylmagnesium bromide.

Related to Grignard Reaction Stoichiometry

1. What is a Grignard reaction?

A Grignard reaction is a type of organic reaction that involves the coupling of an organic halide compound with a magnesium metal to form a new carbon-carbon bond. This reaction is named after the French chemist Victor Grignard who first described it in 1900.

2. What is the purpose of Grignard reaction stoichiometry?

The purpose of Grignard reaction stoichiometry is to determine the correct ratio of reactants (organic halide and magnesium) needed to produce the desired product. This is important because the reaction will not occur if the reactants are not present in the correct proportions.

3. How do you calculate the stoichiometry of a Grignard reaction?

The stoichiometry of a Grignard reaction can be calculated by using the molar ratios of the organic halide and magnesium, as well as the mole ratio of the desired product to the starting material. This information can be found in the balanced chemical equation for the reaction.

4. What factors can affect the stoichiometry of a Grignard reaction?

There are several factors that can affect the stoichiometry of a Grignard reaction, including the purity of the reactants, the reaction temperature, and the presence of any impurities or side reactions. It is important to carefully control these factors in order to obtain the desired product in the correct yield.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my Grignard reaction stoichiometry calculations?

To ensure the accuracy of your Grignard reaction stoichiometry calculations, it is important to use high-quality, pure reactants and carefully measure the amounts of each reactant used. It is also helpful to perform multiple trials of the reaction and compare the results to ensure consistency.