Groove Seals: High Pressure & High Temperature Applications

• Thread starter Stormer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shaft
In summary, the grooves on a hydraulic directional control valve spool create a greater resistance to fluid flow, while the grooves on an on/off proportional control valve create a flow balance. They are both used to regulate flow in different ways, and are both important in high speed linear motion applications.
Stormer
I have seen seals in the form of multiple grooves in a shaft with no other sealing element like o-rings etc. in many applications. For example i have seen this in hydraulic spool valves, but also in high pressure and high temperature gas applications like on pistons in gas operated firearms.

My question is does this really make a good seal? And how does it really work? Does it work in the same way as a Tesla Valvular Conduit by making the flow turn around in the grooves and make greater resistance to any further flow?

Hydraulic spool valve spool:
hydraulic-spool-valve-01-1250248.jpg

AK47 piston:
268442.jpg

And why is it used in hydraulic applications? Why not just a o-ring? I can understand it in firearm pistons because the hot gasses will probably destroy a o-ring in the first shot, but in hydraulics i don't understand the reason to use this. Or is there some piston rings in the grooves of the hydraulic spool valves that we just don't see?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Stormer said:
And why is it used in hydraulic applications? Why not just a o-ring?
They are not seals, they are flow regulators.

On/off hydraulic valves have spools that fit close to the valve body. They do not have the parallel grooves seen in proportional flow control valves. The clearance between the grooved spool and the valve body is greater in a proportional valve as fluid is designed to flow through the annular gap, between the spool and valve body, across the grooves. The profile of the groove is important in regulating flow through the valve, as it controls the turbulence of the flow and the pressure drop across the lands between the grooves. The groove also equalises the pressure around the spool valve so the valve is not pushed sideways. That helps centre the spool valve in the bore and so regulates the annular gap, making flow more predictable.

I expect that in the AK47, the grooves would regulate the gas flow transition, and so quieten the mechanism, and reduce wear due to contact.

Likes Lnewqban
A labyrinth seal is used on a rotating shaft to minimise flow along the shaft.

The spool in a hydraulic directional control valve does not rotate about it's axis, it slides in the axial direction.

A simple spool valve is a switch that connects various ports to the pump or tank. Fluid is not expected to flow along the outer surface of the spool.

The spool in a proportional control valve, changes the flow balance in proportion to axial position. It is designed to have fluid flow along the spool surface.

The examples i gave was just examples i had seen used in the past. But after a little googling it looks like what i was looking for was a "straight through labyrinth seal" with a smooth land. And it appears it is mostly used in gas turbines, multistage centrifugal compressor and similar high flow gas applications with high speed rotational shafts. But from the AK47 piston example it looks like it is used in linear motion applications as well.

y:20180924100749491-0073:9781316755686:17009fig5_2.png

1603391161383.png

17-Figure1-1.png

Apart from the fact that labyrinth seals and proportional control valves are both resistors in series, they are fundamentally different.

The labyrinth seal is a simple two port maximised resistance to flow, the inner half of which spins with the shaft, the outer static halves usually being separable, so the shaft seal can be assembled.

A proportional spool valve is a three port sliding potentiometer. It is designed to proportion a flow in two directions. Fluid delivered to the centre flows away across the lands to the ports at each end. As the spool slides along the bore it changes the proportion of the lands that must be passed by the fluid, while increasing the exposure of the end ports, which unbalances the flow resistance to the two end ports.

Don't let a fascination with simple labyrinth seals distract you from the hidden virtues of adjustable proportional flow control valves.

1. What are groove seals?

Groove seals are mechanical seals used to prevent leakage between two surfaces, typically in high pressure and high temperature applications. They consist of a stationary and rotating ring, with a groove in between that is filled with a sealing material.

2. What are the advantages of using groove seals?

Groove seals offer several advantages, including high reliability, long service life, and the ability to withstand extreme temperatures and pressures. They also have low friction and can accommodate large axial movements.

3. What materials are used for groove seals in high pressure and high temperature applications?

Groove seals are typically made from materials that can withstand high temperatures and pressures, such as metal alloys like stainless steel or high-performance polymers like PTFE. The sealing material can also vary depending on the specific application, but common choices include graphite, carbon, and ceramic.

4. How do groove seals maintain a high level of sealing performance in extreme conditions?

Groove seals are designed with precision to ensure a tight fit between the stationary and rotating rings, as well as the sealing material in the groove. This creates a strong and reliable seal that can withstand high pressures and temperatures without leaking. Additionally, the materials used are chosen for their ability to maintain their properties in extreme conditions.

5. What are some common applications for groove seals?

Groove seals are commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and aerospace, where high pressures and temperatures are present. They are also used in pumps, compressors, and other rotating equipment that require a reliable seal to prevent leakage.