Grounding of secondary side transformer

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding how a coil stays open when grounded in a certain figure. The conversation also touches upon the potential hazards and drawbacks of grounding at different points in the circuit.
wv123456789
TL;DR Summary
Grounding of secondary side of transformer
Hello,

I am a mech engineer teaching myself electrical engineering so please forgive my ignorance. Could someone explain to me how the coil stays open when grounded in the figure 2-12b.

With my limited understanding I can see that in 2-13a the if the side of the circuit on the left of the coil contacted ground (earth fault) then because of grounding at L2 both sides of the secondary windings would be at the same voltage so no current. In 2-13b grounding at L1 means that because of the Earth fault ground is now hot, current would pass through grounding at L1, bypassing the stop and into the coil? Is that correct?

many thanks,

will

1660805387097.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
In (a), grounding any point between L1 and the motor, would blow the fuse.
In (b), grounding any point between L1 and the motor, could start the motor without blowing the fuse.

Figure 2-13A is not ideal either. Overload relay labeled OL should not be in the low side. A fault to ground between M and OL can exist for years without anyone realizing it until one day due to an overload condition on the motor causes the overload relay to trip and it has been bypassed due to an undetected fault between M and OL.

Likes Baluncore

1. What is the purpose of grounding the secondary side transformer?

Grounding the secondary side transformer is important for safety reasons. It helps to prevent electric shocks and protects the equipment from damage due to voltage surges.

2. How is the secondary side transformer grounded?

The secondary side transformer is typically grounded by connecting one of the transformer's secondary winding terminals to a ground rod or a grounding electrode. This creates a low-impedance path for any fault currents to flow to the ground, preventing damage to the equipment.

3. What are the potential hazards of not grounding the secondary side transformer?

Not grounding the secondary side transformer can result in electric shocks, damage to equipment, and even fires. Without a proper ground, fault currents may flow through unintended paths, causing damage and posing a safety risk to individuals.

4. Can a secondary side transformer be grounded at multiple points?

No, a secondary side transformer should only be grounded at one point to avoid creating multiple ground loops. Ground loops can cause interference and affect the performance of the transformer and other connected equipment.

5. Do all secondary side transformers require grounding?

Yes, all secondary side transformers should be grounded for safety reasons. However, some transformers may already have a built-in grounding system, while others may require a separate grounding rod or electrode to be installed. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper grounding of the transformer.